Seat foam

Any questions? We will try and help.
piquet95971

Seat foam

Postby piquet95971 » 28 Apr 2013, 21:51

Its about time I started to think about seats for the project.

To that end I'm looking for info on seating options. There are some 50mm foam seats on fleabay that will fit the base of the seats. They are not my choice of colour being blue but it may mean that I can get the boat on the water sooner than having o save up for a boat upholsterer to do the job for me.

Is 50mm too thin, is it adequate or would it be better with 75mm seat bases. And do I go for loose cushions or foam glued to a plywood base then covered and stapled to the underside of the base? What density of foam, closed cell or EVA Foam?
The day of the Melbourne River cruise I intended to measure some but forgot all about it.

All input appreciated
Cheers
Peter

Damo

Re: Seat foam

Postby Damo » 30 Apr 2013, 17:47

Hey Peter, Dont stess about the colour if its vinyl as the vinyl spray paint these days apply awesome and are very hard wearing and its very easy to touch up as required. With regards to density I would go 50mm high density on the bottom with a 25 - 50mm lighter density on the top for pleating, remember it can never be "too comfortable"!!!

Cheers Damian

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 30 Apr 2013, 20:26

Hi Peter, just a thought, you can strip the upholstery from car seats from wreckers and use them to cover the bases you make. That way you have an enormous choice of colours and materials, another way is to use car seat covers and cut them to size and shape. My seats are about 75mm thick and are reasonably comfy, if i were redoing mine i would try this. Cheers Ray

screwit

Postby screwit » 30 Apr 2013, 21:53

Ray, my hot rod seats are done this way, it was only to get it on the road but 13 years later its still there. I'm a bit slack some times !!! I got some foam from clark rubber for the skiff seat , it was not cheep, look for a foam on nature strip heaps.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”