16ft Boesch Design Restoration

Any questions? We will try and help.
Damo

Re: 16ft Boesch Design Restoration

Postby Damo » 21 Mar 2013, 09:50

Morning Jon, Heh Heh , I remember them well mate , I am still quite partial to the twin headlight model and they were no slouch even by todays standards.

Thanks for the feedback on the cav plate as the more ideas I have the better :idea: . One thing that has come out of this is now I wont be welding the cav up as planned. I am going to come up with some sort of system that can be tuned easily in case I change props or even motors down the track. I just need some sort of starting point, what im hearing is that most of these adjustments are down past the horizontal line of the rear 2mtrs of ply or Planks for all the leaky boat boys :shock: :D , Sorry I meant Clinker :lol: :lol:). When Im designing this I dont know if i will be needing any upwards adjustment. Would 20mm up and down on the end of the cav plate from the neutral position be enough to tune the boat? :?

Sorry for all the questions fellas as this is all new to me, once I have the perameters I can set about a design that will work although it still has to look old school,

Have a Great Day, Damian

JamesW

Postby JamesW » 21 Mar 2013, 23:11

Damo, Having your cav/rudder plate adjustable is a very good idea. It is only narrow though so will only be able to effect trim so much, but your hull may need no adjustment anyway!

I use my adjustable plates for choppy water and crossing wakes due to my boat being so flat, it slaps badly on mild chop. The way it's currently set up needs no trim at normal ski/barefoot speeds.

I have never had to lift plates above level with the hull and think that this would cause problems actually sucking the hull down. Initially my adjustable plates were 300mm wide and I was running a fair bit of angle, the current plates are the full hull width and run much less angle, I have not had to touch these for two seasons.

I think 20mm down at the tip of your cav plate would be plenty, if you go past this I would look at other solutions, which is pretty well what I had to do.

Re; GSXR 11's, I'm a bike tragic, currently kick around on an old GSF12 which has the old oil air cooled 1157 gsxr motor.

Don't know how you got the blame for being the dislexic :lol: .

Damo

Postby Damo » 22 Mar 2013, 09:22

Thanks James, based on your info I will come up with something over the weekend, I am also looking now at maybe installing trim tabs either side or should I just wait and see how she goes in the water first?

With regards to bikes I'm right with you on being a tragic, Ive raced enduro most of my younger life and raced VMX up until recently ( big get off :( ). The bones remind me of this every morning I get up hence one of the reasons for the old Woody. I had many road bikes also over the years but my favorite is still my race bred 1956 BSA 650 Road Rocket of which Ive owned for now over 20 years.

Damo

Postby Damo » 27 Mar 2013, 11:01

Hey Guys, Well have made some more headway on the boat, I have primed the bottom with Carboguard 504 which has turned out good. One drawback is it seems to take a while to dry where it is thick as i brushed it on heavy in places. I wasn't that happy with the brush finish so once this is rubbed back I will be spaying the further coats. Its good to see it coming together as I can't wait to start the decking as I have picked up some amazing West Ozzy timber for it with crazy grain. I'm hoping it will be pretty special as I havent seen another deck with this yet.
Attachments
IMG_1173c.jpg
IMG_1173c.jpg (22.41 KiB) Viewed 6145 times

Damo

Postby Damo » 04 Apr 2013, 13:53

Hey guys, the old board seems a bit quiet fellas, everyone must be still getting over Easter. Well as per my last post I spent a majority of mine rubbing back primer :roll: "Hell", you should see the size of my bloody right arm now!!!! :lol: Once rubbed back I sprayed on the primer this time with excellent results wich makes rubbing back sooooooo much easier and quicker. As per the below pic i am now ready to start varnishing the sides , "CRAP" that bloody Capri has crept back into the picture again :o :shock: :lol: . Let it go Nick its not worth the pain :D :lol:.

catch you soon fellas, be safe
Attachments
IMG_1212c.jpg
IMG_1212c.jpg (23.1 KiB) Viewed 6029 times
IMG_1213c.jpg
IMG_1213c.jpg (26.2 KiB) Viewed 6025 times

hookster

Postby hookster » 05 Apr 2013, 07:33

Looking good Damo, hope you didn't get any overspray on the Capri :lol: I've been a bit quiet myself on the posting side of things...Greg has asked me to put together a write-up on the last Yarrawonga shamozzle so every time I go to post something on here I get an attack of the guilts - I shouldn't be posting on here, I should be composing that damn Hollow Log article :roll:

Maybe you could teach your missus the fine art of rubbing back??? :P :lol: :? Or better still teach the Capri heiress? No, wait, kids shouldn't have to WORK for something should they???

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 05 Apr 2013, 09:06

Jon! Get back to work. The pressure's on :twisted:

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 05 Apr 2013, 21:42

:o :oops:

Damo

Postby Damo » 05 Jul 2013, 21:01

Hey Guys !!!! , sorry about the lack of posts but I have been very busy . I have rebuilt and got roadworthy my sons HZ GTS as well as getting my daughters Capri to the point of licencing, Good hey Nick :D . and today I finally got a chance to do something on the boat. I finally got the first coat of varnish on the sides, although I used a somewhat unorthodox method :o which has worked great, I used Bondall polyurethane single pack and applied this with a roller :shock: , once applied I ran a wide pad over the varnish to get rid of any air bubbles. Now guys u know Im a novice at this stuff but it worked great with a nice even finish with no runs and this was a 15% thinned coat. I am now contemplating what paint to use on the hull as I would like to use an automotive colour and finish :o :o :o :o . I know its not recommended but If it can put up with rain surely it can handle a bit of water for a few days a year. Anyhow , I have attached some pics with more to come.
Attachments
IMG_1759c.jpg
IMG_1759c.jpg (28.75 KiB) Viewed 5720 times
IMG_1752c.jpg
IMG_1752c.jpg (29.42 KiB) Viewed 5715 times

Damo

Postby Damo » 26 Jul 2013, 13:00

Need some help Fella's, My boat came with a cut down crappy fitted windscreen which has since been tossed. I would like to know where I can get the old type of windscreen posts and if they aren't available has someone drawn up something that they have made themselves?

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”