Rascala Engine fit

Any questions? We will try and help.
RightyO

Rascala Engine fit

Postby RightyO » 31 Jan 2013, 20:33

I have moved the dash back to original position and would like to fit the bridge back behind seat but i am not sure the motor will fit . I intend to fit a centre mount 253 and would like to know the adverage distance from the transom to the front of a centre mount setup.I am only at the stage of repairing the deck framing but would not like to be caught out when i get to engine stage.
Ken

DaveD

Re: Rascala Engine fit

Postby DaveD » 31 Jan 2013, 23:33

You may have a problem as I understand it was a rear mount 253 originally?
Here's a pic of Rascala in action at the Inboard Nationals at Goolwa.
Dave

hookster

Postby hookster » 01 Feb 2013, 07:18

Ken I'm all for originality and I echo Dave D's sentiments - why not return it to its race format with a rearmount 253? Phil ("Habits" on this board) owned Rascala and raced it extensively back in the day, but not when it had the 253 rearmount. That's only my thoughts and I know your workmanship speaks for itself so you would be restoring a classic racer back to the way it was, and I'm sure the finished product would be one hell of a boat! cheers mate, Jon.

RightyO

Postby RightyO » 01 Feb 2013, 15:59

Jon i think you are on the right track as i only have 63"from transom to bridge the seacraft is about 80".Fitting a rear mount raises a heap of questions as i have not studied the setup.
The most important question at this stage is the skeg and shaft hole in the same place for the rear mount setup.
Ken

Bob Vic

Postby Bob Vic » 01 Feb 2013, 16:35

Ken - the skeg angle should tell the story. A mid mount will have a 12 degree skeg/shaft angle, a vee drive will be flatter at around 7 degrees. As stated elsewhere, Rascala was a fabulous rig having a wonderful record against the likes of Pufnstuf and Psycho. Bill Baberton was a legend of the sport having driven a whole heap of very different boats, exceptionally well. Should Rascala be restored back to its original rar mouynt configuration you will have a genuine Aussie classic in your shed.

I think that Rascala was built by Dave Gill. David is still active in boats http://www.gilflite.com.au/ and I'm sure would assist with any information that you need.

Bob

Thommo

Postby Thommo » 01 Feb 2013, 18:22

Same Rascala???????

Thommo

Postby Thommo » 01 Feb 2013, 19:22

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 01 Feb 2013, 21:31

Hi Jeff,
This is from when it was in the "Do you need this" section.
It is definately the old Rascala when I raced it it was v driven with a 6 cyl holden with an irving head sank it then had Tom Heffernan repair it then put holden 202 in it mid mount and skied with it. It looks like the dash has been moved foward when it was built it was set up with a 253 v drive for Bill Baberton by the Nankervis boys was a good boat in its day looks like a good project if I only had the room. Merry Xmas every one it could be another for you Hookster Phil

The distance from the transom to the front/flywheel in Jayme II is about 70 inches. It runs a 307 Chev but is dry sumped and the engine sits very low in the hull, and about close to the log as you could get. It is also direct drive which would make it shorter than having a dog clutch.

Dave

screwit

Postby screwit » 01 Feb 2013, 23:33

Shaft angle in pic is steep and looks like v drive is just behind the seat. Doesnt look like 7° more like 12

RightyO

Postby RightyO » 02 Feb 2013, 09:53

Thanks for your feedback.Next question do the v-drive boxes come in different angles or do you compensate with the jackshaft. I can not see any past shaft holes in the keel.There is still the original paint colour under the layers of paint and you can see the checkered flag painted on the front.Pitty i havn 't the knowledge to down load pictures.
Ken.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”