Fitting engine, are you there Doc?

Any questions? We will try and help.
Chivs

Fitting engine, are you there Doc?

Postby Chivs » 07 Jan 2013, 08:38

Ahoy there!

I bought a chev that was out of a rear mount syndicate and has a big square Price sump at the bottom.
We used a dummy prop shaft through the original skeg and log to work out a rough angle and took the sump off and modified it to the angle we thought we needed.
Short story is we were way out with the angle!
Have I stuffed up using the log I got with the boat which matched the holes, and should of opted for one that will give me more angle to be able to get more clearance under the engine?
The photos with the engine in are with out the sump, its very low to match the shaft, and with further modifications to the sump we are worried about having enough oil for oil pressure?
You might note the engine if almost on the bulk head, but I think thats normal?
We have discussed dry sumping it, but the jury is out on this at this stage.
Any advice, comments greatly appreciated, possibly to be continued at Yarrawonga!

Thanks, Chivs.
Attachments
of course it does.JPG
of course it does.JPG (57.94 KiB) Viewed 6249 times
sump has to come off.JPG
sump has to come off.JPG (71.32 KiB) Viewed 6247 times
glory shot, sump as big as my head.JPG
glory shot, sump as big as my head.JPG (54.74 KiB) Viewed 6246 times
cant go much lower.JPG
cant go much lower.JPG (75.07 KiB) Viewed 6240 times
looking forward.JPG
looking forward.JPG (63.77 KiB) Viewed 6239 times
bell housing also needs modifying.JPG
bell housing also needs modifying.JPG (65.83 KiB) Viewed 6233 times

screwit

Re: Fitting engine, are you there Doc?

Postby screwit » 07 Jan 2013, 11:18

looking ok so far as I can tel by the pics, less angle for speed , more angle for towing, motor sould be as far back as you can get it as long as you can get a safty collar between the coupling and the shaft log. I think that 10-15mm clearance for flex in hull is good, oil pick up should be at the low end with orignal pick up end or some thing flaired to help scavage as much oil as pos. a large area at least 400mm should run flat with the bottom of the boat Baffel gates should be made in side at 45deg in front of the pick up to trap oil at the pick up.
Make sure you weld a fitting in the sump you can screw a tap on and a hose to drain the oil out the bung hole, less mess!!!
Ross

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 07 Jan 2013, 13:58

Hi Chris,
I'd be keeping the angle as original and moving the motor as far back as practical as Ross suggests, then dry sump it.
Jayme II has a Chev and simple dry sump set up that seems to work fine. Has a scavenge gear pump and uses the original motor oil pump.
Dave

Doc

Postby Doc » 07 Jan 2013, 16:51

Hi Chris,
Looks GOOD! Just remember motor is out of rearmount , she would have been mounted flat. The cooling set might run hot! water into water pump inlets will travel straight up to thermostate exit and out, which creates air pockets in the heads [opposite] flywheel end which turns into steam which will run temp up . The transom looks good ,whats with the doggy door? Just a thought, gunnel trim on Torea was a larger width D shape than normal.
Doc.

Alan

Postby Alan » 07 Jan 2013, 19:47

Too many questions for here, see your scorched arse at Yarrawonga.

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 07 Jan 2013, 20:28

Great stuff, this stuff has been discussed with my more than capable project director Brent Thurley_
Not sure about the door comment will re check photos? Re the gunnel Doc they were still on when I got it from Bob, in good nick with a little work they should look great.
Thanks again all for input and yes Allan, or Mrs Price as Darren prefers to be continued at the hooksters .
Chris

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”