Hull Identification, History....prop size....Etc.

Any questions? We will try and help.
Renojet

Re: Hull Identification, History....prop size....Etc.

Postby Renojet » 30 Nov 2012, 18:19

Hi Stuart
What a great looking boat!! Especially with a side valve in it, just like my first ski boat. You didn't get The Jet but you got an equally unique looking boat. I have a couple of spare props but possibly one too small (The Jet) and one too big (Y Block). Can't wait to line you up at Narrandera next year! How did you get on with getting a new prop for your little Hydro? Also how did you get on with Peter Alexander and your new Hydro? Good luck with Ebb!!

Frank

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 30 Nov 2012, 21:10

Thats cool stuart. Even with more pics than you showed me i cant id it. A six cylinder prob should suit it.

Alan

Postby Alan » 01 Dec 2012, 07:39

So your saying you want me to bring a prop over with me at Christmas to see how she goes? Just looking at the picks it's hard to judge this, sort of looks like it's been "renovated" lots of "modern" style changes to an older hull. Things like the Alternator, throttle cable, zip clips & even the exhaust pipes from the manifolds looks far to neat. As to who built it, ? Who where the plans from is my question, have you seen (or got) one of these Dave? The extra thickness from the bow that tapers to the chine looks familiar but ?

Ricshaw

Postby Ricshaw » 01 Dec 2012, 10:45

Hi Stuart .
I have available a Austral 12x12 supercup with a 1" morse taper
I could bring with me on my epic journey of 47 hours to some mullets house in Yarrawonga ...
Ric..

fatpigeon

Postby fatpigeon » 01 Dec 2012, 18:21

Thanks for the replies

Dave P... Are you suggesting that the side valve is a little heavy and overkill for this boat ? perhaps the engine out of Renegade !

Frank ....yes I have a new prop thanks to a lead from Dave P and another kneel down hydro in the vault waiting for a slap and tickle (paint and varnish). Also bought back a 1930s racing outboard to match. I won't even contemplate competing with the jet but Jupiter will be back at Narranderra next year.

Alan..... Boat won't be in the water for a while , knee operation next week , then at Port Arthur for a while fishing and feasting on tastey orange morsals . All welcome ....bring your sea legs.

Ric...thanks for the offer not sure I can afford the cartage bill, perhaps an artificial mop would come in handy for your destination as part payment, I understand your not allowed in without the said artificial head piece.

I have a few props I can test but not sure of the pitch on them. Is their a quick and dirty method to measure the pitch on a prop?

Does Ebb look like a popular mechanics magazine kit design ?

Stuart

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 01 Dec 2012, 21:11

Stuart i just think the power and torque will be about the same as a six so it stands to reason to start there.
Renegades engine is staying right where it is.

JamesW

Postby JamesW » 01 Dec 2012, 22:43

Damn thats nice!

My old flathead ski boat which would be heavier, originally had a 12 1/2x11 (no cup) on a 7/8 SAE shaft. Went to a 12x13 Austral with 2 carbs, cam, heads and a heap of other work and it didn't have enough power to drive it past 3600rpm.

What dose it have for a shaft 1" or 7/8", SAE or Morse?

Do you have any pictures of the front engine plate (distributor/prop shaft drive end) as this looks odd, drive flange also looks thin, mainly wondering if there is a thrust bearing or dose it have a gearbox :o ! exhaust and inlet manifolds are standard tawco marine and the twin Paul water pump is also original flathead marine.

Also looks to have a water cooled sump and the hoses have been re-routed.

Any idea what the alloy "Y" shaped thing on the rear right side of the engine besides the drive?

hookster

Postby hookster » 03 Dec 2012, 06:58

So a trip down to Franklin was had eh Stu? :lol: About time you found a boat in your own back yard instead of raping and pillaging our dwindling stocks over here :o

I have a 1966 mag called Boat Designs for the Amateur, by Peter Fletcher. There is a plan of a boat that looks very similar to yours in it, called "Emma". The original plans are for a 15'6" hull, but that one of yours is 21' isn't it? I have scanned the page with the illustration but it is way to big in mozzie-bites to post on here, and if I resize it you won't be able to see anything probably. I can email it to you though...

Cheers from Yarrawonga-Mulletwala

fatpigeon

Postby fatpigeon » 03 Dec 2012, 07:55

Detective Hookster , the boat is actually just under 16 ft not 21ft ft as advertised so may be on to something.
i was looking for an old farm trailer when i came across the adv, I really didn't need/want or have room for another boat but had to go and have a look anyway. After a huge price adjustment hard to say no.
Email is stuartbeattietas@hotmail.com

JamesW .. Thanks for the info . Will get some more pictures and info.

Stuart

fatpigeon

Postby fatpigeon » 06 Dec 2012, 18:31

Detective Hookster

I think you have solved the design question, I checked some measurements and details of the plans you sent me and they seem spot on.....the boat design magazine you have is still available through eBay etc. but I'm not sure the actual plans are available.

This may sound like a silly question but how do you tell if the shaft is a morse taper or Sae or other.....I know there is a complicated formulae as is a formulae to measure propeller pitch, but is there a laymans method !

More info re Jamesw questions and photos to come, thanks again for the replies

Stuart

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”