Why not a Y block?

Any questions? We will try and help.
NPeth

Why not a Y block?

Postby NPeth » 19 Nov 2012, 20:48

Hi Guys, looking for some advice about engines. I was wanting to put a new motor in Grumpy and this Y block has come up on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Boat-Motor-Ford-V8-Y-Block-272-Carter-4-Barrel-Carby-Tawco-Marine-Kit-Dog-Clutch-/261126442503?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccc594e07 The price is looking pretty good but will I be happy with the performance? How does a Y block go with larger than average skiers?, what sort of speed and economy can you get out of one. Would I be better of going with a newer V8 and spending more money. Looking forward to your advice, opinions and prejudices.
Thanks
Nick

bootlegger

Re: Why not a Y block?

Postby bootlegger » 19 Nov 2012, 22:45

They a re good dependable engine. They dont like being revved though so dont expect the same performance as say a small block chevy. They are very heavy and expensive to rebuild but are period correct for a boat like yours.

Alan

Postby Alan » 19 Nov 2012, 23:10

Nick, like Dave said they are reliable (when rebuilt/restored) one dragged Greg around behind stormy for years so should perform OK. Just remember you are buying a marine kit with some engine parts attached, it needs to be cheap as you will have to plan to do a full rebuild.

Stu

Postby Stu » 21 Nov 2012, 00:07

Hi guys,

my 272 Y Block I rebuilt in 2000, I did the following: heads both done, including 5 new valves and 3 new guides, I also bought 8 new pistons, rings and mains and also had the block bored oversize 0.030 and decked...all for around 1100 dollars. The rebuild I did myself in the garage as I am lucy enough to have the use of all my fathers tools and bits and pieces....

The boat was decomissioned when I left Australia in 2002 after two full seasons of skiing...then got used again when I visited each time around every 2 years...lay idle for three years and after an oil change and new fuel went hard straight away. From my experience they are bullet proof, max revs in my boat with prop set up is around 3700-4000 (whereby 4000 rpm feels like your tourchering the poor engine). and we skiied quite often with two skiiers behind the boat. I even bought a second engine to rebuild in reserve but never had too yet, the other reserve is an old side valve Ford v8 (Flat head).

Anyway I dont know what a rebuild on a chey results to but if you need contacts for Y block parts some of us here in the club know where to accuire parts and I still remember where I sourced things.

Hope this helped

Stu

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 21 Nov 2012, 05:33

Nick, I pretty much support everything said here.

I had Stormy’s engine rebuilt in 1996. It was the first time the engine had been out of the boat since 1955. I had it bored out to a 282, max oversize on original pistons (there were no 292 pistons in Australia at the time). Heads done (same valves , a couple of cracks welded), mains and big ends replaced. The engine hasn’t missed a beat since. Taught my family and numerous others to ski and used the boat extensively when my kids were young.

As Stu says, it doesn’t like to rev. After the rebuild it would rev to 5,000, but now only revs to about 4,500. I haven’t touched carbies or points/timing for years.

Most parts are available from the US. Parts such as points, gaskets and seals, filters, etc are still readily available in Australia (Cusso Bill, Automotive Surplus to name a couple).

A period motor for period boats. Big, heavy and torquey, a great skiboat motor. And of course, they sound great.

Greg

Paul SA

Postby Paul SA » 21 Nov 2012, 22:15

I have got one in Lincoln and it goes well. I am going down to Goolwa on saturday so if you want a ride in one give me a ring or just come down.
Paul

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 23 Nov 2012, 20:29

:cry: outbid :cry:

JamesW

Postby JamesW » 23 Nov 2012, 22:56

Supprised it wasn't passed in again! $480 and then transport is a lot of $'s for something that could be a piece of scrap.

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 24 Nov 2012, 21:01

Well at least she who must be obeyed will think that she was obeyed

JamesW

Postby JamesW » 25 Nov 2012, 09:14

Obviously you don't have her trained yet :D !

Mine has given up after my boat cost nothing and I told her it would cost "a couple of grand" to get going, $12,000 later ;) . I keept all receipts and non receipted costs, amazing how it all adds up. The results are worth it though, as my family and I sit here this morning in pain from skiing yesterday.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”