Distance between Skeg & front steering fin

Any questions? We will try and help.
Cichlid

Distance between Skeg & front steering fin

Postby Cichlid » 01 Nov 2012, 20:41

G'day all;

I'm Tim - I purchased Star-Dust a couple of months back;

Spoke briefly to Greg Carr regarding the boat -
It's as he described - Pretty good nik, & apart from the motor issue - It really just needs a light sand & varnish -

Greg mentioned the boat may have a turning issue; it's got no real cav plate to speak of, just a timber plate approx. 250mm wide at the transom that tapers to around 120mm at the end & it's about 450mm long - I've skiied & driven a few older Skicraft inboards, with similar size plates (alloy) & they all seem ok, (I haven't had it in the water so this is all assumption)

The thing that really stands out is the distance from the front fin, back to the skeg - it's 2300mm (Boat is 5.8long0 & the second thing is the front fin iss along way forward, around 500mm from the centre of the motor - & it's mounted right at the point where the bow starts to ride up -

Does anyone know whether this is normal? it all looks out of proportion???

Thanks in advance

Tim

DaveD

Re: Distance between Skeg & front steering fin

Postby DaveD » 01 Nov 2012, 23:03

Hi,
Don't what is normal but I can give some measurements off may boat, Jayme II.
Its 16ft 3inches (around 5m) from transom to bow and from my recollection of Stardust, it would be a similar length.
The centre fin is mounted just forward (approx 200mm) of the front of the motor. I believe this would be fairly normal position.
The distance from the trailling edge of the centre fin to the leading edge of the skeg is approx 1700mm.
Dave

screwit

Postby screwit » 02 Nov 2012, 07:34

In all the boats I have set up, I placed the fin center under the flywheel or slightly forward.
Fin size all so must be deep ,some thing like the skeg hight after all this is the turning piviot thats why it is under the engine
Too far back and the bow will drag in water on slow turns The rudder would be the next thing to play with when the fin is fitted.
Ross

Darren

Postby Darren » 02 Nov 2012, 08:03

Congrats Tim, its a nice boat.
I have driven the boat. The issues were not major. The boat when turned tended to roll and track straight a lot easier than others I have driven but thats no problem as all clinkers will do that. The main one for me was when the engine was turned off or powered off it veered off. Cant remember think it was left from memory. Im madly packing for mationals atm so ill think a bit more as i go
Darren

Cichlid

Postby Cichlid » 03 Nov 2012, 18:59

Thanks for the replies - As I said I haven't had it in the water so I don't know how it turns -
I'v had two other wooden clinkers - both Everinghams - The last one turned as good if not better than most plastic clinkers, the other was great to the right & the normal not so to the left - I just thought with the motor coming out now & plan to flip her over to revarnish the hull, if the fin wasn't quite right - now woould be a good time to relocate -
It's also got an old sort shaped fin too -

Cichlid

Postby Cichlid » 04 Nov 2012, 15:22

I've been mucking around today with the boat - & measured the distance from the fin to the flywheel - it's around 500mm - so was thinking I could mount the original fin back maybe 2-300mm & mount another smaller fin where the original fin was

???

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”