Buffing varnish?

Any questions? We will try and help.
bigbird

Buffing varnish?

Postby bigbird » 12 Oct 2012, 18:54

G'Day all. I had no luck with my screwing problem,[ to much information] I think I may not have explained the problem correctly, the screws that hold the s/s. gunwale trim in place about 70 are not as tight as I would like, to enlarge the screws would involve countersinking to suit the larger screw the same on the rear trim at the stern but about 1.5 mm thick.So I was told to try and push silicone into the screw hole.May be this would work.

All that been said my new question is can you buff and polish the Goldspar varnish? it is a Polyurethane resin based formula to try to remove fine particles that you can feel but can't see in day light but you can under lights inside, I have done all I can vacuumed the surface, wiped done with thinners, filtered the varnish into a clean container and used a new brush each coat and am working inside in a clean area and hosed the floor all still to no avail. So having no timber finishing experience maybe buffing would work as with auto pain? Brian

hookster

Re: Buffing varnish?

Postby hookster » 13 Oct 2012, 08:23

G'day Brian, I am in the process of varnishing my new deck (that's not something else being said with a Kiwi accent either) and I was wondering the same thing as you. All I can suggest is you try putting a couple of coats on a spare piece of timber, then buff that and see if it has any adverse effect on the varnish. Maybe you could try wet and dry first with a very fine compound (800+ or higher if you can get it, and put a few drops of detergent in your water) then some sort of polish. I would be leaving the last coat for as long as possible (several days) before attempting your finishing to allow it to completely harden. I'm using Feast Watson Spar Marine Varnish. Hope that helps mate, Jon.

bigbird

Postby bigbird » 13 Oct 2012, 19:38

Thanks for taking the time to reply, their are a number of articles on the net all seem to say the same thing yes you can but would you want to. According to my surfing around to-day it appears as long as it is NOT a soft type of varnish either oil or water based it's possible, two pack and urethane give the best result, the life of the varnish is shorter once you cut the outer varnish film off but if you store your boat inside it should not be a big problem or so they say.
another friend of mine who is a sign writer suggested each time you wash your boat and chamois it down it will slowly remove small surface particles as it becomes harder?
I think I will leave it for now and check out the boats at Narrandera I may be worrying for nothing. see you soon. Brian

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 13 Oct 2012, 20:25

You can buff single pack varnishes. Leave it for a couple of months to harden then slice with 1200 then 1500 then 2000 wet and dry. Buffing is done with a foam pad and 3m finese it. I usually go over it after with a wool pad and a final glaze.
The boat im doing now i did just with a brush and left it. I want a fnish that is typical of the late twenties.

bigbird

Postby bigbird » 16 Oct 2012, 20:16

Hi.thanks for the information. Their seems to be a number of 3m Finesse it products which one would you suggest and did you use a buffing compound first? Brian.

hookster

Postby hookster » 18 Oct 2012, 07:43

Brian one other thing...the problem you are having is caused by airborne particles settling on the varnish while it is still tacky I presume? I don't profess to be an expert at this stuff, but I choose my moments to put on a new coat - ie. I wait till there is no wind about to stir up any sort of dust in your shed or wherever you're working. Usually this time of year late afternoon seems to be the calmest time of day.z

bigbird

Postby bigbird » 18 Oct 2012, 17:50

I thought the same thing but not quite sure, I am starting the think it may be coming from the surface as I have been sanding between coats trying to get a smooth surface may be after wiping down the surface with thinners just before varnishing it may be furring up the surface with very fine particles of the preceding coat are what I am seeing as I go, not latter on. I now have the largest collection of used only once brushes in an attempt to get a clear finish. the last coat I did, I just used the vac. no tack cloth and no wiping down with thinners and it seemed to improve things. Brian

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 18 Oct 2012, 20:42

Ill tel you what it is. I always pour the varnish into another container and take it from there. Hen i throw what left out. If you have been dipping into the tin you have probably put dust into that.

bigbird

Postby bigbird » 18 Oct 2012, 22:22

I started to do that from the first coat even brought the correct paper filters with the very fine mesh in the bottom from the auto paint supplier to catch any thing that may have been around the edge of the main tin.I even started to vacuum the brush before use even though it was brand new in case their was any dust from shipping and I know that's going to far.I was told by a friend that I should have been washing the surface with soap and water rinse and allow to dry then varnish,still thinking it's the surface that's been the problem. I guess I am going to have to cut and buff it to remove the fine particles, not that happy any way, it looks like a plastic coating a little softer would be better. Brian.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”