Dog clutches

Any questions? We will try and help.
Sunbeam11

Dog clutches

Postby Sunbeam11 » 12 Jul 2009, 22:00

Having not fully studied a dog clutch setup, can anyone tell me the pitfalls of converting direct drive to a dog clutch setup? :roll: Its for a Flathead V8.
I assume an adaptor plate may be needed, and the prop shaft made shorter, but will I have to move the engine mounts and other problems that will arise?
Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

bootlegger

Re: Dog clutches

Postby bootlegger » 12 Jul 2009, 23:20

Sunbeam. I think you will have trouble converting the original thrust to a dog clutch set up on the timing case end. Tawco did make one but you would have to be real lucky to find one (although I do know of one but I doubt he will sell it). I have a dog clutch set up that runs on the flywheel end but you will have to adapt it somehow (should be pretty straight forward).

Sunbeam11

Postby Sunbeam11 » 13 Jul 2009, 22:01

Thanks Dave, I see what you mean about the timing case end......very tricky..especially with the crab style distributor directly above it, not leaving much room for adaptor plate etc.

Also Dave...seeing that V8 Flatheads were reasonably popular in the the ( I think the 225 -266 ci class) 1940's for racing boats etc. is the reason they are hard to come by is that most of them were direct drive??
Also.. (forgive this the dumb questuion) :roll: if I run it of the flywheel end...that means the motor will need to be turned around wont it????.... and I read somewhere that the reason in most cases this was'nt done was because the prop shaft was at a steeper angle due to the higher sitting position....is that right??? cause to me the centre of the cankshaft is the same both ends and the only way to change that is use a Z drive or something???? :?
Also If I turn the engine....that will mean making new carby wedges and stuff like that as well wont it?.
Again please forgive my ignorance abot this stuff.... I still have a lot to learn. :oops:

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 13 Jul 2009, 22:19

See if you can look at a current dog clutch set up. They are the same today as they were back then. You might be able to cut the end off and weld it to the Ford thrust/bell housing.
The reason that most of the flatheads etc back then were direct drive Im figuring was more to do about cost. Ive seen a tawco style dog clutch for the flat head so there must be more out there.
If you mount the dog clutch on the flywheel the motor will need to be turned around and yes it will sit higher.
Ive seen z drives with a prop release but not a dog clutch. Another words you have nuetral but you need to turn the motor off engage the prop release and then start the motor back up in neutral. When you want to drive the boat you need to do that again.

Alan

Postby Alan » 14 Jul 2009, 07:55

Don't forget that if you turn the motor around, you also need to change the prop.

Alan

Sunbeam11

Postby Sunbeam11 » 14 Jul 2009, 22:39

thanks Dave and Alan, you've given me some thinking to do..... :?:
The prop release thingy defeats the purpose a bit dont you think......for me anyway, as I didnt want to have to start and stop the engine all the time when picking up skiers or idle drifting etc. whcih is what you have to do with direct drive.
Another stupid question.... :oops: how do you tune or tweak a direct drive engine when its not in the water.......do you just have the prop spinning under the boat :shock: ????

one more thing Dave....... I'm assuming all the ones you have seen, the clutch was on the flywheel end????? as you say, looks to have been the cheaper easier option besides direct drive.

I'll see if I can get a reasonably priced dog clutch and study it while its sitting on the workbench and see how it all works and see what we come up with :idea:
I will be totaly rebuilding a new engine and only using the marinised parts of the old one.....which is one reason I dont want to turn the engine around...those parts will all fit back nicely with the original configuration of flywheel to the bow.

arrrrhhh the dilemas's????????? :roll:

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 15 Jul 2009, 00:54

The dog clutch I saw was mounted on the timing case end. not the flywheel.
To run your boat off the trailer the prop will spin. If you dont run water on the skeg the skeg bush will heat up and chop out. Best practise is to disconnect the prop shaft.

Sunbeam11

Postby Sunbeam11 » 16 Jul 2009, 22:20

Thanks Dave......I wont keep bombarding you with questions here...I will be going to the Sydney boat show, so I am hoping I can catch up with you there ( I have your mobile # to check when the best time is)....... and annoy you with further questions then if thats okay..??? 8-)
cheers
Peter G

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 17 Jul 2009, 22:55

Peter Im not sure how much time I will be spending at the show. It might be better if you come over when you are up here. I can show you the differnt dog clutches I have and then you can work out how you are going to do it.

Sunbeam11

Postby Sunbeam11 » 18 Jul 2009, 23:00

thanks Dave.... to be honest, there isn't a real hurray....Im just in a bit of a down time (Lack of spare funds :( and family priorities) and was thinking ahead in regards to mechanicals as I'm still a fair way off that part. And unfortanately I'm only in Sydney for a short visit..........but thanks for the offer to call in.....cause I will certainly take you up on that at a later date.
By the way......are you going to have Aggressor at the boat show? if not........ keep it a surprise for me to see what you take???? Im excited..... :D

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”