How do you keep a wet edge?

Any questions? We will try and help.
bigbird

How do you keep a wet edge?

Postby bigbird » 25 Aug 2012, 17:42

G'Day all. looking for some advice, just about to start and varnish to top area of my CC from the deck to stern and the gunwale it's a large area with a brush and am thinking that by the time I get around to where I started the wet edge will be lost.To an experienced boat builder this will sound like a stupid question but to one who has never done this before it has be stumped, I don't want to stuff up all my sanding time. any suggestions welcomed. Brian

bootlegger

Re: How do you keep a wet edge?

Postby bootlegger » 25 Aug 2012, 22:16

Dont worry about the wet edge. Your biggest drama will be runs. If you sre using normal varnish the key is dont rush. One coat per day. Dont try and lay tge paint on wet. Even if there are brush marks when you finish they will flatten out over night. Ive tried all the methods. Roller with a foam tip brush, normal brush and spray.
Ive ended up sticking with a brush. Ive also found you get less runs on the vertical surfaces by brushing the varnish on up and down rather than with the grain. Then tip it off with the grain to get tge brush marks running the right way. What i hate is it all looks great and the you come back a few hours later and there is a run somewhere.
I usually do around ten coats.

bigbird

Re: How do you keep a wet edge?

Postby bigbird » 26 Aug 2012, 17:34

Thanks for your suggestions,as soon as the weather clears up I get in to it.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”