plywood thickness for bond wood boat

Any questions? We will try and help.
bauchy

plywood thickness for bond wood boat

Postby bauchy » 15 Jun 2012, 21:01

howdy, does anyone have an idea how thick the sheets of ply i should use to sheet my boat with?? im thinking 6mm as the bottom of the boat is well framed out and its a v bottom so i cant see it getting as much a hard time as a flat bottom hull???

bauchy

tintin101

Re: plywood thickness for bond wood boat

Postby tintin101 » 15 Jun 2012, 21:46

Howdy Bauchy,

The hartley sportwinn (1950 speed boat) is ahead of its time - light on frames and light on plywood thickness (design is flat bottomish) and the plans state 6mm thick plywood - the Svensons / Chum design which is this boat by all accounts http://www.cawpba.com/CAWPBA/forsale47.htm uses 9mm and is heavy.

Having read and looked at about 5 actual plans ;Hartley sportwinn
Glen - L cracker box
Glen - L tiny Mite
Glen - L ski King
Svensons - Chum for lengthy time 6mm is norm but 9mm(bottom) is for high horse power motor 350 chev etc.

But I dont profess to know for sure - I have plenty of 6mm and 9mm plywood for a boat build project and 6mm shapes really easily 9mm not so much.

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 15 Jun 2012, 22:14

cheers mate. i think ill just use 6mm. its a glen l rampage design. i could dig out the plans and have a look but takes so much effort :P ive got abit of work to do before i need the ply but ill be buying from denman marine in tassy so need to get it organised so it arrives in time, thanks again

Alan

Postby Alan » 15 Jun 2012, 22:15

Brian,
8 (the old 5/16") or 9 mm would be my minimum choice. There's no real point in making it lighter and trying to test for the weakest link, especially when there is horsepower to burn. When you want to bend it, just use 4mm and laminate it.

Alan.

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 15 Jun 2012, 22:35

horse power to burn? im only going to be running a holden. :P

ill like the idea of laminating the 4mm sheets at the front where it wraps around near the bowe. no doubt your an ideas man!!! swing past next time you heading my way and give me more ideas if your bored .

screwit

Postby screwit » 15 Jun 2012, 23:34

Brian. Screwit has 9mm on bottom.
lower bow has 2layers of 4 to bend to shape
sides are 6mm as is the transom
deck is. 6mm.

tintin101

Postby tintin101 » 16 Jun 2012, 00:27

totally right lads

6mm to light - 9mmm still to light its 12mm min or alternatively its 2 x 6mm laminate

http://www.glen-l.com/designs/inboard/rampage-bom.html.

The glen-l boats are an easy design to get head around - Rampage looks a great boat.

How far into the build are you? Most Glen-l boat builds on ebay - people give up at a similar position in the build

Gavin

reddwarf

Postby reddwarf » 16 Jun 2012, 07:10

hello all. ive built the glen l crackerbox and they state 12mm on the bottom of the hull as with most of there performance inboard boats .its a matter of how much you want to spend on the ply as the lighter varieties are more expensive ..but don't go thin to save weight, it can be a long way to the bottom of the pond. :D

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 16 Jun 2012, 09:50

Thanks for the replys. I bought the boat off ebay as a complete frame. It only needs epoxy coating then its ready to sheet. The only thing im going to change is make the transom higher in the corners so the sides are 400mm tall at the lowest point so its eligible for ski racing. Of cause this will change the shape of the deck but i dont particurly like the glen l design deck anyway. The guy i bought it off has done an awesome job so its a great start for what i need. Ill be epoxying the frame in the few weeks when ive made the changes then i will flip it upright and fit out with engine, vdrive, steering, cav gear etc. Once thats all set up ill remove it all and finish the hull and then reassemble.

screwit

Postby screwit » 16 Jun 2012, 17:29

all depends on how many stringers are in the bottom of the boat , seacraft run 5 on each side , mine has 3
Stringers should run under the frames not notched flush as the ply will flex and crack on the frames if there is not enough support at the 90 deg to the keel.
Ross

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”