plywood thickness for bond wood boat

Any questions? We will try and help.
Alan

Re: plywood thickness for bond wood boat

Postby Alan » 16 Jun 2012, 18:43

Brian,
Mr Tull once told me he operated with the age old unit of measure, (6") that's what the max distance should be between supports for the ply.
Alan.

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 16 Jun 2012, 22:54

yep 6 inches between each as you suggest. the supports are about 70mm wide and quiet thick. they are checked into the frames but thats what the plans show so should be ok. will find out sooner or later :P
its quiet interesting to look at how its built. certainly allot of hours involved and im glad i didnt have to do it all. very happy with what i bought

tintin101

Postby tintin101 » 17 Jun 2012, 01:26

Hey Bauchy

Of the 3 Glen-l plans I have all bottom battens / side battens are notched into the frames - the hartley sportwinn has them nailed /glued the outside of the frame.

I like how on the glen - l plans they state to glue 1/4 plywood onto the top of the keel so as to avoid cracking - have a look at the photos of the ebay _____________? make boat (i love this boat) - the frames are notched for battens but on one of the photo it shows the keel has a crack running down the centre - does your EBAY Glen -L have the 1/4 plywood glued on top of the keel because if not you should put one in as it looks like they are on the money in this regard.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI ... true&rt=nc

Gavin

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 17 Jun 2012, 10:40

Yep mine has the ply on the keel. I got the plans out and hes done a few extras which make sense. I lost motivation for boats and this one has certainly got me going again. Ill be in melbourne monday picking up all the brass screws the owner had then i can make some progress. I cant wait

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”