Paint for boat

Any questions? We will try and help.
peter

Paint for boat

Postby peter » 19 Jun 2009, 16:06

Sorry to raise an old topic for you seasoned guys but I need to paint/spray the interior / bottom of my timber boat SUSPECT. The existing coating is (I am advised) of an epoxy type.
However it is in good condition but with some flaking and hairline cracking at the clinker overlaps(chines?). I wish to give it a new good covering to prevent as much water as possible, hopefully I wish to prevent ALL the water from entering the timber, and have it go out the bilge pump instead. Any assistance with the type of coating and brand will be of assistance. Hopefully, this may sound silly, but if there is a product for this purpose and it happens to be GREY in colour we are laughing as the existing coating is grey and the whole interior does not need to be recoated. I am exhausted with the net and marine and paint places, getting little good advice. Thanks

Peter Cole

bootlegger

Re: Paint for boat

Postby bootlegger » 19 Jun 2009, 19:52

Ring Frank Mineham at President Shipwright services (Drummoyne). There is a new product that they sell that fills gaps and remains flexible. They are using it on decks of yachts etc (clear varnish like) But Im pretty sure it comes in colours also.
The guys that are using it are raving about it. It lasts for ages and doesnt crack. Im going to try it on my next clinker project. Its bloody expensive though. Im not sure if it will go over old paint. Tell Frank you were talking to me Dave Pagano

peter

Postby peter » 19 Jun 2009, 20:15

Dave
Thanks for your assistance
Peter

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 24 Jun 2009, 19:12

Peter I found out the name of that paint. Its called Coelan. Call Frank mineham on 0291813244 or 0291813467

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”