Gunwhales

Any questions? We will try and help.
screwit

Gunwhales

Postby screwit » 01 May 2012, 21:21

Nearly at the point of fitting the gunwhales, the gunwhales on the skiff were not glued only screwed in place.
Question is do the normaly get glued or do they just fix them with screws and let the paint seal the joint between the deck and gunwhale timber.
I have not tryed to remove the gunwhales on Inveder so dont know if they are glued yet.
Ross

bootlegger

Re: Gunwhales

Postby bootlegger » 01 May 2012, 21:56

Ross they are just screwed on. Im not sure what a shipwright does but when I made the gunwales I pre drilled them including the first couple of holes for the screws up at the bow. Then I steamed them. You need another person to go from the steam box to fit them. Its a bit rushed to get them on before they cool. If you dont have the deck on you can skip the screwing and just clamp them till they cool into position.

screwit

Postby screwit » 01 May 2012, 22:23

Thanks dave
I will refit the ones that came if it. they were short when I got the boat but now that I have re-shaped or cut down the top plank 50mm on the bow they now meet but have to be fitted to the stem.
Ross

Darren

Postby Darren » 01 May 2012, 23:01

Rosco,
Screwed and glued mine.
Firstly made a pattern off the false gunwale, redrew them making the arc smaller.
Then made up a bending jig (lots of blocks on an mdf base.
Steamed the material, pulled them around the jig, clamped until dry.
This means the gunwale will be "over bent" let it dry right off.
Glue epoxy, screws brass
Learnt this from Peter Adcock and Keith Simpkin

screwit

Postby screwit » 08 May 2012, 12:17

Just started to remove them and they are not glued
Right again Dave thanks
just have to remove the stubbbbbbben brass screws.
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 12 May 2012, 22:36

Have removed the gunwales on big skiff now and the top llanks are perfect condition, deck frame is all so very good with no damage
have removed the knees on cav plate and they will get replaced as they were made from ply and starting to split between the layers
Have also unbolted the bearers and will take them out tomorrow and they just need a sand and recoatof varnish, may even make new s/s angle brackets for them.
The inside only needs a light sand as Adrian has all ready started this process in the bow back to about half fore deck and a recoat of varnish will make it nice.
This all must happen be fore the new deck can be layed
Gunwales just need a good sand and recoated and refitted.
Have to get back to the little skiff to complete the engine lid--plenty of room for small block in there if Im game!!!!!!
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 13 May 2012, 18:52

Bearers are out and sanded at least untill the brushes failed.
All the unwanted holls are pluged and a small section that was chiseled out for the ford oil filter has been filled.
Hull is now out of the slings and on a frame just off the floor on wheels for a good work hight.
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 15 May 2012, 21:29

Finished sanding the bearers and dividing timbers today, gave them a coat of varnish but temp is going to slow the drying time down as they were still tacky tonight.
Bugger the cold weather, went on to make the frame for the little skiffs engine hatch, all the ply is cut for that .
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 20 May 2012, 21:10

Bearers have now got 3 coats on them and I may get to do a finish coat as soon as time lets me.
The bottom of the boat was clean but when the bearers came out there was some dry oil build up that needs to be cleaned under them.
Its hard to do two boats at the same time but at night I can work on the small one for now doing smaller jobs on top of the dash and engine lid as the big one needs to be wheeled out to work on it to clean and coat the in side.
Shed realy not big enough with other projects in there, sick of moving things around and back again - saw dust and engines dont mix to well when in bits!!
Ross

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 20 May 2012, 21:24

Sounds too familiar Ross!

Bit cool in Tasy so I put a wood fire place in the shed to encourage me to do that extra bit during the night etc etc, anyway was preparing for the finishing coat and all looking good when a gust of wind went down the flue and blew wood ash throughout the shed, there you go Ray, don't put one in your new shed!

An hour later after cleaning up the mess finally got that coat on, just another story and lesson to add to the very long list.

Chris

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”