Cracked Ribs

Any questions? We will try and help.
piquet95971

Re: Cracked Ribs

Postby piquet95971 » 22 Apr 2012, 22:00

Glad all went well.

The rib that is not sitting right may still be OK it can probably be tapped sideways until it all lines up. Maybe use a couple of pine as spacers between the ribs to get the spacing right and to help move the rib sideways till it lines up.

The photos that Greg put up for me on my project optic had a photograph of the tools required.

1/2 lb ball pein hammer, claw hammer, a heavy dolly for the outside of the boat a pair of nippers for cutting the nails and the rove punch.

Mine is a punch that I had in my tool box that I modified.
The design that I would suggest is a piece of 5/8 diameter steel round bar about 4-6" long.
Drill a clearance hole up the middle of the piece of steel probably about 1 1/2" deep. Maybe more so that the nail doesn't bottom out when driving the rove down the nail.
This hole to be slightly bigger in diameter than the diagonal cross section dimension of the copper nail to be used.

Use a countersink in the clearance hole and countersink it down so that the countersunk hole is near the diameter of the rove.

On the other end of the punch grind a chamfer off the top edge and you should have a punch that will do the jod for the 5 or 6 ribs that you have to nail and rove

Cheers
Peter

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 27 Feb 2013, 16:52

Hi guys,
on ebay at the moment is this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130857188487?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649. The boat has a 253 and velvet drive which I was thinking could be a good set up in Grumpy. THe starting price seems very good. Any thoughts?
Nick

Alan

Postby Alan » 27 Feb 2013, 23:11

One bid already, unless you can confirm condition of motor and box you don't want to get into a bidding war.
That said, would be a good combo

screwit

Postby screwit » 28 Feb 2013, 08:00

Nick, you may have to think about the length of the total package, it may move the motor foward. How long is your boat ?
best do some home work first.
Ross

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”