Little skiff

Any questions? We will try and help.
screwit

Re: Little skiff

Postby screwit » 29 Apr 2012, 18:55

Got shown but dont know if old dog can proform new trixs again with out help.
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 06 May 2012, 22:08

Deck is now on but now have to make the engine cover as it had one when built but lost in transit from NSW and match it with the deck before sanding and staining.
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 23 May 2012, 08:31

Engine lid is now made as is the deck obove the dash as the profile and grain needed to match. To day if I dont get called to work I will finish the small ply trim behind the seat and the insert for the gauges that will complete the deck that has to be stained.
The deck was screwed down with 6g ss screws every 60mm around the edges, now that the glue has set I have removed every second one and counter sunk the remaining, All holes to be filled and will be a feature oround the deck. I did my sons boat this way and it looks good and dont need to many clamps.
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 27 May 2012, 20:43

Have now completed the small deck behind the seat now and have made a bonet scoop just incase I need one for clearance, the next thing to do is make and trial fit all the deck trims before the final sanding of the deck. Im going to stain the deck to a jarra colour so this has to be done with out the trims on.
Im going to try mixing the stain in the varnish thinned down to get the colour on evenly and to penatrate the ply first and then clear top coats to finish.
Has any one tried this ? I will also try the use of tape and a wodd puntch hole in it and lay it over the holes to be filled to lesson the smearing around the hole.
putting stain on by rag is hard to get it even with out overlaps and colour shades of light and dark and cutting to edges of other timbers.
Have got 3 weeks of work now so can only do things at night , Bugger!!!
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 13 Jul 2012, 17:38

Well I have now removed the trims and wiped the deck with mould killer, only to find the stains are still there in the ply when it dryed. Today I made a mix of baking soada and water and have wiped the deck over again, the deck did go darker with the mould killer but more an aged look. As the baking soada dryed I noticed that the stains have all but gone, but I will wait to see what it is like when it is totaly dry but I think it will be good to start a stain and varnish mix.
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 21 Jul 2012, 19:47

I have decided not to add stain to the mix and coated the deck today with a sealer coat of thinned varnish, the deck is darker than I thought it would be and looks ok, It has soaked in well with no gloss but that will change as the timber stops taking it in and it flows on the top. all screw holes will get filled after the timber has sealed and will get 3 or 4 coats over the top of the filler/ putty.
We had a good day today to paint, hope tomorrow is the same.
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 25 Jul 2012, 22:27

Tonight I have sanded the deck and put a 3rd coat on , the grain is all most filled now .
I will leave it for 6-7 days and see how hard it is.
Next step would be to give the gunwhale and trims 2 coats befor fitting them.
Then I will roll the hull over and do the final finish on the bottom before the final coats on the deck.
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 16 Aug 2012, 22:08

Have been at it at night and have now got 5 coats on it, even though most has been sanded of to get the grain filled,
gunwale have been pluged and sanded flush and the engine bearers are now fixed in, with all the bolts sealed where they pass through the timbers and the hull. I have made a s/ steel nose cap that only needs the front tig welded to complete.
Cold weather tonight did slow me down will do a bit more tomorrow.
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 02 Sep 2012, 21:22

Its upside down now and has had a coat of clear and colour mix, and 2 coats of just clear,
To morrow I will coat it again.
Have now got a bush for the rudder so that can be set up when righted after varnish has cured.
Still waiting for the steel for the trailer through my work!!!!
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 05 Sep 2012, 19:44

Picked up the steel yesterday afternoon, moved out a car and cleared the floor this morning and got started on the trailer at 9.00.
Packed up at 4.30 and the complete frame is made and fully welded except one cross beam in the A-bar, needs to be cut and fitted.
Need to find some 2" x 1/4 angle to mount the springs and a plate to mount the hitch on.
I will make a hoop to go over the front of the boat to hold the boat on when I get some pipe.
Boat got a coat yesterday morning and I think that will be it and I will let it harden now before it is put on the trailer.
Pulled the 179 engine down the other day that I have move house with 3 times, block has split in the no 1 bore and looks like the bottom water pump bolt has been to long and pressured the cyl. wall
Bugger!!!!

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”