Little skiff

Any questions? We will try and help.
screwit

Little skiff

Postby screwit » 06 Feb 2012, 11:44

Have just spent some time removeing the deck on my 13ft skiff.
Found some of the worst timber work I have ever seen- packers made from ripped down timber pallets, 150 to 200mm strips stacked on top of each other for hight to made up 20mm plus because the deck line was not made straight, these were only jamed in under the top packer that only had 2 nails in it over 1600mm.
None of the ply deck or beeding had any glue under it, and all the nails or tacks and screws were mild steel !!
cover trap down the middle of the deck was 70mm wide, this was to cover th 50 to 30 mm gap between the sheets and the fit around the gunnel was that bad they had to lay down, fly bee to cover it. On each corner and on front it had ply nailed on top and shaped with no glue all because at the transom the deck was missing a triangle on one side about 100mmx75mm.
Lucky this hull is not made by the same craftsnan or it wood be fire wood, the hull has not seen water yet so it would not have lasted to long once in use with the crap deck on it. To think they would bother to clear finnish it as if it was good job !!!!!!!!
Some times you should know your limits and skills before you stuff some thing up and get some one who can do it for you,

Greg
Creator

Re: Little skiff

Postby Greg » 06 Feb 2012, 15:50

Ross
Sounds like you are going to be a bit busier than expected. I was under the impression that the bloke who built it was supposed to have worked for Lewis Brothers in their heyday. Could be he was the messenger boy.

screwit

Postby screwit » 06 Feb 2012, 16:05

I dont think he put the deck on because even if you just sweped the floors you would have lernt some thing !!!!!
And just filling in time, boat has moved into the small shed but still full of stuff Greg.
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 07 Feb 2012, 12:30

Have now got the gunnels off and can now reshape the front deck as it rises like a chinese junk at the last 450mm and that will straighten the gunnel line out and make it a better looking boat, Will need to be 40-50mm off at the stem, and should be abell to loose some of the arch in the deck too.
Ross

fatpigeon

Postby fatpigeon » 07 Feb 2012, 20:42

Gidday Ross

Any chance of some pictures, perhaps we could compare horror stories. Those little surprises are small setbacks , I am sure the extra work will pay off in the end. Hope all goes well.

Stuart

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 08 Feb 2012, 09:36

Stop stuffing around and get some work done you boys, I saw you (fat pigeon) towing the tin dish with the F truck Port Arthur direction Tuesday, bit of over kill or bringing back another toy? What about photos from you Stuart or are you saving it for the Hollow Log, better do something.

Chris

fatpigeon

Postby fatpigeon » 08 Feb 2012, 10:21

I was only asking for a couple if pic's , all the rest is secret squirrel business for now. But be assured Chris I will be relieving those mainlanders (and some locals) of some more woodies soon.

Stuart

hookster

Postby hookster » 08 Feb 2012, 10:40

Might have to do a job on him Chivs...you get him onto the Spirit, and I'll pick him up at this end :P

screwit

Postby screwit » 08 Feb 2012, 11:40

Stuart, send me a mobile number and I will send some pics as I arnt that good with the comp. thing yet.
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 08 Feb 2012, 11:56

Have now re-alined the gunnel and taken down the 50mm to 0mm on the top planks on both sides and stem,.
Next will be the deck beems will be replaced as they are made from treated pine and now to high, nails and screws that was used where all rusted from the treated pine. I suspect the bearers are the same with stain on them and they are short by 400mm at the rear and another bit over laped to make the in length. Dont know why, they only need to be 2400mm long any way!!
Ross

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”