Little skiff

Any questions? We will try and help.
screwit

Re: Little skiff

Postby screwit » 19 Feb 2013, 19:18

Rain mist us again, might have to mount the skif on a hot rod chassis at this rate, there will be no water in the lake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 19 Feb 2013, 19:29

Hey Ross, don't feel too bad, i've forgotten what rain looks like. Bugger all here again today. Started stripping the boat on the weekend, 2 rotten planks and a section of keel near the bow as well as the transom, but i'm going to try to save it. It will give me some great practice before I start the skiff with no real concequences if it goes wrong. We will keep an eye open at Ballarat for you, going Saturday. cheers Ray

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 19 Feb 2013, 21:22

Hmmm, rained in Dalylesford Fri,Sat, Sun and this morning. Now why do people come here for romantic weekends. Good news though, water flows down hill so it should end up in Cairn Curran and Lanacoore ;)

screwit

Postby screwit » 23 Feb 2013, 22:06

finaly got some friday but only about 25mm, realy ony just settled the dust but was god to see after 4months with out rain.
Have had to remake the small section of floor that holds the dog clutch as the handle hit the exhaust pipe when it was installed, Bugger I hate doing things twice!!!!

screwit

Postby screwit » 03 Mar 2013, 22:00

Today I sanded the deck down out side the sed, But that was a bad move as the deck got very warm and the sand paper just blocked up like it was fresh paint I was sanding. so it took forever.
It has beem 5 months or so since it was cleared with varnish.
Holes drill and sealed now for the water pick ups.
Friday I spun up some brass bored and threded them to make the water pickups, and now ready to fit in to the boat.
Ross

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 04 Mar 2013, 07:58

Re those water pickups Ross - they are just superb - works of art!

screwit

Postby screwit » 05 Mar 2013, 22:18

Sprayed the deck today looking good but will need more coats. very glossy!!

screwit

Postby screwit » 08 Mar 2013, 09:42

Have re-coated the deck but where I had 2 runs I sanded it back but the paint was to soft and the surface gumed up so I left it for 2 days and sanded it back but was still soft under the surface , I thought I got it ok but it shows in the next coat like a smeer ,so now I will have to wait a week or so before I rub it back to fix it. Looks good apart from this.
Bugger!!!

screwit

Postby screwit » 12 Mar 2013, 07:34

Today Im makeing the engine hatch hinges out off 6mm ally. profile cut yesterday - today Ill drill and fitt them. they look like a fridge door hinge that will bolt to the side of the lid and deck stringers and will tilt towards the bow, could not find anything that would do the job and look right.
Have custom turned the 1'' ss prop shaft taper for the prop and thredded it. just needs to be keyed and cut to length.
It it set up for !" and 7/8 props to get better selection of props.
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 07 Apr 2013, 09:29

The engine lid is fitted and the webber will not clear the lid by 1/2' so a hole and scoop will have to be fitted. prop shaft is cut but no keyways as yet.
Have got the gauges and taco and ignition lock fitted and have started on the wire loom while the dummy motor is in.
It is getting close now, only the finn and battery mount, throttle and upolstery the main things to do.
then only the rebuilt motor is going to hold me up I think.
Ross

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”