Little skiff

Any questions? We will try and help.
rayza1

Re: Little skiff

Postby rayza1 » 02 Jun 2014, 21:48

Hey Ross, spoke to Andy and he doesn't think the maggie is from a tractor but more likely an aftermarket unit. Checked the timing tonight and it was out by heaps going by top dead centre of no. one piston. I'm still guessing a bit because there are no timing marks that I can see but by ear it sounds a lot smoother and starts easier. Will get the maggie checked before Narrandera but I think we're on the right track now, i'm sure it was spark all along!

Alan

Postby Alan » 02 Jun 2014, 22:07

I doubt the mag will have much in the way of an advance mechanism, and if it has none it will be a problem especially starting. There is no way to get it spot on without a trip to a dyne, but being for race use (max RPM) just have to focus on the top end, but you must have TDC marked properly so you know where you are. I would start at 24 and work up but you will need to get the fuel right at the same time as the spark requirement will change depending on mixture.

screwit

Postby screwit » 02 Jun 2014, 22:11

Ray has it got the hole in the fly wheel to place a pin punch or some thing
its behind the starter in the block to set the timing ?

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 02 Jun 2014, 22:46

Sounds like a job for you Alan, my skills are LIMITED when it comes to sparktricity (come to think of it the're limited at most things)

screwit

Postby screwit » 11 Sep 2014, 19:10

To day I have given the skiff [ RATBAG] another coat on the deck and will recoat it again tomorrow if the weather is ok.
[ Invader ] might get another recoat too, since Ill have the brush out and it will be that much closer to having the hull completed. It really only needs a few more coats too finish it .
Nagambie rod run is on again over the 19-20-21 st of September and I want to drag the skiff over there this year on the Sunday for the show and shine.
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 12 Sep 2014, 22:49

Got both skiffs coated today , didn't help the hand and wrist sanding and wheeling the paint brush for 3-1/2 odd hours.
Trying to keep two sheds warm as the arvo air came wasn't easy .

screwit

Postby screwit » 15 Sep 2014, 20:03

Today I refitted the hardware on the skiff, The coating was brushed on thick to seal the deck and I have got a few small runs and some dust to rub out later but its good enough to start the season with, so I will be starting to wet the boat out for the weekend.

Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 16 Sep 2014, 20:12

I can not believe my eyes, the boat that took so much to "take up" at it first time in the water [ over three or four weeks] to be useable has held water all day today with the water down to a few drips after 2 hours . I will have to drain it to put it back in the shed tonight.
It has not seen water since the Heathcote get together.!!!!!!!!!!

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 16 Sep 2014, 20:33

Thats great news ross. Looks like its a boat now not a submarine.

screwit

Postby screwit » 03 Jan 2015, 21:21

Over the last few days We have built my son Holden 308 for his skiff , finishing a new sump for it with a division and one way gates .
Learnt a few thing with this build pointing out the badly cross drilled crank and the shells that had the oil hole half cut off. apparently common in the Holden V8. and reason for running bearings at high speed . only two lining up true .
Crank for screwits new engine has been ground and the knife edge crank now ground for Rat Bag's new motor. next is balancing them.
Rat Bag's block has had the main tunnel's sized for clearance and ready for assembly , sump and pick up will be looked at when engine comes out .
Might be pushing it to get to the aussie day get together .
Ross

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”