Little skiff

Any questions? We will try and help.
rayza1

Re: Little skiff

Postby rayza1 » 03 Feb 2014, 22:11

Hey Ross, looks unreal.....can't wait to see it in action. Love the name!

screwit

Postby screwit » 06 Feb 2014, 23:10

Have had the boat in the back yard two days ago, watering the lawn !!!
water still leaking out the reverse planks at the transom , as the boards on both side of it swell it may open the gap more, may have to look at trying to seal them if they don't take up soon.
The boat has started to take up in other spots but still will need another dip I think, as the water bill is big enough !!!!!
Have now got both fuel filler caps and hose so I can now fit the tanks

screwit

Postby screwit » 12 Feb 2014, 07:47

Fitting the bilge pump this morning and fuel tanks , Have to go and do some maintenance at the VSBC today so I might take it out for another dip on the trailer while I'm there.
I have sealed the transom now so hopefully it will seal better. as I don't know what was done at the transom as far as sealing when the hull was built.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 12 Feb 2014, 18:15

Well done ross. It may always be a tea bag. Dont worry most of my boats are also. I havent lost one yet.

screwit

Postby screwit » 14 Feb 2014, 17:36

Had it in the lake again for 1/2 hour today before finding the front tire on the car was going down so a quick pack up was decided and off to the tire service for repairs.
It still took on water before it could float on the trailer.
I did find that I had not sealed the exhaust out let and shaft log looks like it may be leaking on the keel.
The engine plumbing seems to be working as I started the engine while it was in the water.

screwit

Postby screwit » 15 Feb 2014, 11:31

Had another go at watering the lawn this morning, I will see what Sundays weather is like - I might be able to let it soak on the trailer some more .

screwit

Postby screwit » 16 Feb 2014, 21:19

To day I dropped it in at the ramp again , and it floated of the trailer . Water was very ruff and the wind was blowing across the lake
After some time in the water with the bilge pump running, it was able to pump more out of the boat than was coming in .
Started the engine and ran it for a few mins. then decided to try and take it for a run close to the bank. As I was on my own I didn't want to get in to deep.
I found the dog clutch arm moving on the shaft and not holding in, so some temporary adjustments were made and I climbed aboard and started the engine.
Off we went slowly up and down the lake edge twice and then I got gamer and pushed down on the throttle , it leapt out of the water riding the peeks of the waves after hitting two large waves my foot went down harder and the boat stood vertical got some air under it and I decided to back off, I figured that the planks might be a little brittle being so dry and didn't want to split one just yet.
Hard to tell how it will handle yet as I still had lots of water rushing back to the rear but for a tired motor it did get up and going quickly.
I have some spots where water has seeped under the edges of the deck coating and will sort that out asap.
Looking forward to some flat water next time.
Ross

BB.jpg
BB.jpg (196.69 KiB) Viewed 12347 times

screwit

Postby screwit » 23 Feb 2014, 22:27

Had it out on Friday morning, water was much better, boat still needing some more swelling but did get to give it a good run , apart from the bouncing over the water it was handling not to bad , motor revving to about 4000 at the moment and for the stock old engine that's about all I will get.
It does get out of the water but lands ok and does not dive in any direction.
Was being watched by an old chap on the bank that used to race one and when I pulled in, he spoke to me and said I need to pull the keel up under the front of the seat a little and it will cure the bounce, but was impressed by the way it was going for the first real run its had. so I will make a jacking bolt to do the job.
I will all so be buying a new prop nut as the nut and lock nut had spun off during the run, lucky the prop is still there !!!!
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 25 Feb 2014, 09:55

Today I looked inside the boat and found that there is still water in it from Friday , That's a good sign that it is taking up at last.
This has been a long process . Hope for your old boat Greg yet !!!!
Ross

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 25 Feb 2014, 22:07

Looks like you are getting there ross. Another skiff I the cawpba fleet. We will be able to run our own race meet soon.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”