Little skiff

Any questions? We will try and help.
screwit

Re: Little skiff

Postby screwit » 23 Mar 2015, 13:17

Boat has been rolled over and all repairs inside have now been done. Fuel tanks are back in and water pick up installed again.
A 2x1 timber has been made to hold down the bailing pump as it was seperating from the base and rolling around the hull after some active driving.
Modifying the sump now before asembly of engine to ensure good oil feed.

screwit

Postby screwit » 15 Apr 2015, 20:38

New engine fitted over the weekend , Reengineering the boat to run a 186s marine manifold to run the engine in for a few hours before the weber's go back on.
Rebuilt a Stromberg ww 2 barrel of a 253 and re-doing the throttle and exhaust and water system to suit.
Setting up an oil drain system from the sump to avoid the mess in the bottom of the hull, and moving the battery a little to clear the oil pick-up hose to the sump

screwit

Postby screwit » 21 Sep 2015, 11:02

Fist test day at nagmbie yesterday at a rodrun for new motor
Ater wating the lawn for 2 days i thought that it might float al though it was taking in a fair bit of water between runs.
Engine is smooth no vibes and after a slow lap of the lake a few short bursts l started to get excited the lake was getting chopped up by jetskis but didn't stop me opening up the throttle so with one hand holding the small bag with my phone and wallet and the other on the wheel l pushed it across the lake prop riding and walking sideways the tachometer was sbowing an extra 1000 rpm / 5500 rpm . than the old motor with webers
Im only running marine manifold with 186-253 carb at the moment
I think it was running about 60 mph, hard to tell when bouncing around so much.
Last edited by screwit on 22 Sep 2015, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 22 Sep 2015, 11:28

Cool stuff.

screwit

Postby screwit » 11 Feb 2016, 08:28

After a few long runs on Glenmaggie , Have found that it is pooling oil up in the rocker cover at high speed, so an extra oil drain is to be made to drain oil back to the dog clutch cap.
Another improvement will need to be done with the fixted cave plate needing a ally plate fitted under on the under side so I can trim some of the bounce out of the boat.
Another cross beam it to be fitted over forward end the shaft log so I can pull up the hull keel to flatten the bottom of the boat more.

WoodRay

Postby WoodRay » 12 Feb 2016, 21:12

Enjoyed the drive Ross. I stuffed up and deleted all the video bar one picture of you and Ratbag. poo.
Anyway we went back the next day and it was even flatter. Lovely day. Belinda blew the arse out the exhaust manifolds but we still had a good run. At least I got video of that which I'll get up when I finish editing it out. Been on the hunt for some 186S/X2 headers which turned up yesterday. Back to the tools now.

IMGP7115.jpg
IMGP7115.jpg (128.13 KiB) Viewed 52928 times

screwit

Postby screwit » 24 Mar 2016, 08:08

All the modifications have been made now ,will refit the rudder today, Have pulled up the hull keel just behind the coupling about 13mm, this can be adjusted and locked in position the way its done.
Have replaced one of the timbers in the cav plate that was soft, [ looks like is was the centre pith of the tree ]
On reassembly I found that there was a 6mm gap under the timber knees now and a wedge was made to fill the gap and this will help with the trimming that I think it needs.
I have fitted a 3mm ally plate under the cav plate and it can be shimmed to get more adjustment if needed easily .
Only thing now is to file the bush a little to allow the rudder shaft to go back through the top bracket again .
Water pick ups were split and now 1 goes to the pump and the other goes to the engine block through a one-way valve .
Testing soon will see if it changes any thing !! Looking for a smother ride and less out of the water than we had .

RightyO

Postby RightyO » 24 Mar 2016, 17:23

Ross great to see someone is on the job everyone has been very quiet lately how did you come up with needing 13 mm .I have pulled the keel up on Nightmare slightly to stop some of the bounce but 13mm seems excessive . I dropped the cav plate also but only got a small test run then the fancy electronic distributer packed up and had to be towed in .Needless to say the point disy is back to stay .
Ken

screwit

Postby screwit » 25 Mar 2016, 10:41

Ken, The keel was rounded from the front of the engine back to the transom and was told early in the testing to pull up the keel in front of the skeg about 350 to 400 mm to get the keel strait as I can.
This was done and it still had a round in the keel up under the back of the engine so what I have done has helped get it as strait as I can for as long as I can get it.
This is what I was told to do by an older racer I met a few years ago.
It still has a bend where the shaft comes through the hull [ this is the weakest point of the keel ] but no were as much as it had, I might use the jack under the hull at the lower point and see if it settles a bit while the movement at the latest pull up is fresh .There is probably some sort of stress there as any movement in the hull will affect a wider area of the hull I think.
I have had to realign the shaft since this work was done. Amazing how much it moved !

screwit

Postby screwit » 30 Apr 2016, 22:32

Got it out for a test run on lake wellington but only got a short run with no spaces under cav and then tried a spacer under it but on that run the cast ally pump / alt bracket broke so had to limp back go home.
I have since duplicated the bracket in 4mm steel and is ready for testing again.
If nothing much has been gained I will look at the prop size. It is 10 3/4 x 16 and this is prob to big for the small boat even though the mild tune eng spins at 5200rpm
Any thoughts on this ?

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”