our project

Any questions? We will try and help.
piquet95971

Re: our project

Postby piquet95971 » 06 Jun 2012, 11:10

Just had a message from Ross to have a look at one of the readers boats on the main website.
The boat he suggested to me to look at was "Sheba 11". When he was down here to to pick up a length of Silver Ash that I had shipped from Sydney he had a good look at our boat. He had a look at the line keel and noted the dip in the keel that I had referred to in one of my early posts.

Having a look at Sheba and comparing it to mine there are so many similarities that I would almost say that we have a Goldsborough hull.

The similarities are the line of the keel, the cav plate and rudder steering mechanism, the position of the exhaust outlets, the lines of the transom and the arrangements of the foredeck beams and deck stringers. There are some other things that have a resemblance like the small glove box and some of the midships deck beam arrangements. The line of the longitudinal bilge stringer looks to be in the same position as mine as well. The stem look to be similar as well

The things that are different are the positioning of the ski pole and the fact that the engine cover is a separate lift of arrangement as opposed ours where it was fully enclosed in the lines of the deck structure.

For those that know these boats much better than I, could I please get some feedback as to whether the Goldsborough boats were built as a hull only and then sold so that owners could fit them out themselves, much the same as Keith Simpkin did, or whether they were only sold as a complete item.
Maybe they were sold as a combination of the two?

Do we have a contact for Andrew Petty so that I may ask a few relevant questions?
cheers
Peter Sneddon

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 06 Jun 2012, 11:38

Pete

PM sent

Greg

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 06 Jun 2012, 11:56

Ahoy Peter!

Jon Levett aka The Hookster has an original including builders plate! It's called A Jay and all original in need of restoration, he had a little moment where he was going to sell it, but he has been convinced its a worthwhile project. No doubt when he reads this he will add his two cents worth ?

Jon has also been in contact with Sheebas owner who was very helpful.

Also Greg knows all the answers, surprise!

Regards Chris.

hookster

Postby hookster » 12 Jun 2012, 14:33

Hey Peter, yes I do have a Goldsbrough. I will take some measurements for you and some extra photos of transom etc when I can get a chance over the next couple of days. One thing with mine which I haven't seen in any other clinkers, is that it seems to be over engineered to buggery, ie. it has lots of thin stringers running lengthwise between the planks and the ribs, for the full length of the boat. It also has a hidden glove box, which I only found when I removed the deck. It consists of a small enclosed wooden tray, which is behind the left side of the dash.

Stay tuned and I'll get onto those photos for you, cheers, Jon.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 13 Jun 2012, 18:02

Thanks Jon
If you have a look at the first page of this topic there are some photos of my boat prior to the start of the resto this shows the Glovebox. Is it anything like yours?.
there is also a picture of the line of the keel where it dips which is unusual.
Are there any similarities to your boat of these two areas?
cheers
Peter

hookster

Postby hookster » 14 Jun 2012, 09:54

Hi Pete, this is what I have for you:
My boat is 16' 6" not including cav plate. 5'6" wide not including gunwales.
The ribs in the very forward section under the front deck are not one piece where they area bent as they go over the keel but two separate ribs, each coming down from deck level, then terminating as they butt up to the keel (or stem or whatever it is - that thick bit of wood that curves up from the keel :lol: ) (see photo)
ajay photos 011.jpg
ajay photos 011.jpg (37.11 KiB) Viewed 5405 times

My keel does not have the hump under the front which I see in your earlier photo, rather it just curves down from the bow then runs flat to the stern
I do not have an open glove box - there is a clock (or the remains of one) where your glove box is. (see photo)
ajay photos 014.jpg
ajay photos 014.jpg (34.43 KiB) Viewed 5401 times
ajay photos 013.jpg
ajay photos 013.jpg (37.38 KiB) Viewed 5406 times

I have two steel rod systems running from under the seat in the front cockpit all the way to the transom where they each connect to a bung - this allowed the opening and closing of those bungs by the driver while under way. The rods run along the outside of each bearer.
The stringers or whatever they are that I mentioned are very noticeable, and run the whole length of the boat between each plank and the ribs, except for the upper two planks on either side - they have no stringers and are nailed/roved directly to the ribs (see photo)
ajay photos 015.jpg
ajay photos 015.jpg (38.35 KiB) Viewed 5397 times

All my deck framing appears to be pacific maple, as with yours
The Goldsbrough ID plate was screwed to the front of the rear cockpit in the middle - if your were sitting in the back seat you would see it right in front of you

hookster

Postby hookster » 14 Jun 2012, 10:14

One other thing Pete regarding your query as to whether these boats were sold as a hull or a complete boat... My boat has a 272 Y Block - nothing unusual in that, however, the engine hatch handle and hinges are from a Ford Mainline which leads me to think that when the boat was built the donor Mainline was used to provide not only the powerplant but the other bits and pieces as well at the time of building

Like everything from that era, it's all a bit of a mystery unless you're lucky enough to have the complete history of the boat from new.

If you think that your are getting closer to believing you have a Goldsbrough, give me a ring on 0418584448 and I can cross check anything else for you while we jibber away on the phone. On that note, one small suggestion, phone calls on Friday nights after about 4pm could prove to be (a) entertaining in the early stages, (b) challenging (in the coherence department) in the later stages of the evening. I'll leave it up to you :lol:

Cheers, Jon.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 14 Jun 2012, 21:06

Hi Jon
looking at the photos that you posted was very interesting. They showed up quite a few more similarities between the two boats as in yours and mine.

Whilst the instrument layout is different and mine doesn't have the separate panel that the instrument are mounted in, the deck beam layout in that general area is almost identical.
The little shrouding deck beam is the same, as in the way that it is attached to the centreline deck stringer. If you have a look you can see that the small deck beam is just nailed into the end grain of the deck stringer. Not much strength but mine was built the same way.

The knees in the corner of the front cockpit are identical to mine as is the method of attaching them to the deck beam and the cockpit sides.
The breast hook and the the centreline deck stringer arrangements are so similar as well.

I'm really starting to think more and more that our boat could possibly be a Goldsborough. It would be great to have finally fluked an ID.

I will have to get the imperial rule out and measure the boat as I know that mine is 4.8 mtr length not including the cav plate that calculate out at 15' 91/2". So a bit shorter than yours.
Cheers
Peter

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 16 Jun 2012, 12:10

hi jon
Had another look at your pictures and there are other similaraties
The way that the cockpit sides are attached to the instrument deck beam and what looks to be the way that the instrument panel
deck beam is attached to the top plank.
It also looks as though the steering cable pulley mounting and the pulley itself is the same.
The engine bearers also look to be similar size 8 x 2" oregon.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 14 Jul 2012, 20:17

So nothing has been happening her until today. The weather has been quite cold and I'm doing the work in a carport so I feel rather exposed.

Today the weather was a little more kind so I ventured out an decided to try and roll the boat over by myself. I had tried to organise a couple of mates to help but every time one was available the others weren't able to commit.
Success. About two hours and a little bit of ingenuity and it was done. I used a couple of ratchet. The carport roof beams took the load and didn't collapse.

The cradle that I had made for sitting the boat on right way up is a great height for working on the outside of the hull upside down.

Tomorrow I will give it a good scrub down and have a good look at what I've got. Depending on time and temperature I may get the chance to start work on the underwater planking attachments to the transom. The planks have been glued to the transom but I will check it out and see if the glue has stuck properly. If the glue has not sealed properly I will rake out what ever is there and then reglue and nail the planks.

The dip in the line of the keel can really be seen on the inverted hull. I will post a picture for all to see.

So that's where we are up to

Cheers
Peter

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”