our project

Any questions? We will try and help.
piquet95971

Re: our project

Postby piquet95971 » 17 Feb 2012, 20:37

This Avro I had a chance to cut, steam, bend into place and fit another couple of half ribs.

Also cut to length another half dozen full length ribs. Tomorrow I'll cut to length the remainder of the ribs that need to be replaced, chamfer the edges and get them ready to install.

Maybe on Sunday I'll bribe one of my mates to help do some roving. There are still some in the bow section that have to be completed. If we finish that early enough we might flash up the steam box again and put in a couple of the full length ribs.

I reckon that it will only be a couple of weeks before we take the boat off the trailer, turn it over and start checking out what needs to be done externally on the bottom of the hull.

I know that the planks have to be nailed into the transom so that I'll be the first thing that gets done.

Cheers for now
Peter

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 19 Feb 2012, 19:34

Sometimes thing just aren't fair, everyone was busy so did what I could myself.

It was still fairly productive. With the help of my wife we did a lot of the roving that needed to be done in the front seat section of the boat.

After that I went to the area of where I had replaced the three half ribs and did the top three nails and roves in these ribs both port and stbd side.

Then made a doubling plank for the port side mdships where the plywood had been partially damaged by a fire in the boat at some stage. This was then glued and screwed in place.
I hope to have the two starboard side doubling planks made this week ready to be glued in place if there is a break in work or I get home early enough.

So next weekend I may have these 4 planks nailed and roved in place.
Cheers
Peter

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 01 Mar 2012, 14:09

"Help Dad,my car is making funny noises"

Does this sound familiar! Drop everything plane to Sydney find someone to repair power steering on daughters car and spend time here getting my feet wet. Rain rain and then more rain and it's really humid to boot.

This weekend coming should see me steaming and bending nearly all the remaining ribs in place. Have to fasten off a couple of those already installed to free up some clamps first also have to get some more spotted gum and machine up some more blank ribs.

Photos soon
Peter

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 08 Mar 2012, 21:04

So far since my last post I have made, steamed and bent into place about 18 ribs. I have got them ready and screwed them into place from the outside with 11/2 x6 gauge screws with plywood packers on the outside. I have also screwed them into the keel with 3/4x6g rh ss woodscrews. That will hold them in place until I can con someone to be the dolly hand for the nail and roving.

I feel a bit like Dave P as I will have to maybe put the boat wok on the back burner for a while as I have been diagnosed with a blood problem that means lots of tests, drugs and close watching. So I want to get as much done as possible before I start to feel crook.

So if I'm not around for a while don't freak out cause as Monty Python say "I'm not dead yet"

Cheers for now
Peter
Last edited by piquet95971 on 31 Mar 2012, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 08 Mar 2012, 21:36

Hi Peter, if you still want to have a crack at doing some roving, i can hold a dolly. I need to see how it's done and i'm happy to lend a hand. You're in melb yeah? Ray

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 08 Mar 2012, 23:10

I'd be keen on helping out too Peter, and I could bring beer...... Just let us know if you need a hand. Like Ray I look like having to do some roving and would appreciate a chance to find out how it is done.
Regards
Nick

Alan

Postby Alan » 09 Mar 2012, 08:34

Peter,
starting to look like a barn raising, are you going to run "Quaker state" oil as well.

I don't have those funny rivet things, but I like to watch.
Alan.

p.s. Do you think they will be able to get the sawdust out of the blood? :lol:

antique-boatique

Postby antique-boatique » 09 Mar 2012, 09:06

Just love this club spirit - that's what it's all about in my opinion and the more of it the better - congratulations guys

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 12 Mar 2012, 20:47

Hi guys
Many thanks for the offer but I am just not feeling up to doing anything much at present.
I went out there for about an hour yesterday, fitted some more ribs and went to bed for about nearly 3 hours. I've never felt so flat in my life.

Have to preserve myself for work tomorrow and for the tests later this week.
I have been diagnosed with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia(CML). It's not the nasty version but the version that responds well to Chemotherapy in a tablet form. I have to have a Bone Marrow Biopsy on Thursday. Not looking forward to that and being a sook they are going to give me a general anesthetic. Prognosis probably live for 15-20 years. So its OK. My hair, what I have of it wont fall out, so you guys probably wont even know I have this when we go to the next wet together on the Maribynong. We will be boat less but will meet at the destination if it's known for the hot chocolate and rum.

So thats where we are at
cheers
for now

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 22 Mar 2012, 19:46

Looking at the interior of most of the boats it would seem that the bilge stringers in most of the boats are nailed and roved in place through the hull/planking.
Mine on the other hand his held in place with 11/4" x 12 gauge screws into the ribs only.

Now all my books are sugesting that it should be through hull fastened. So I am deliberating as to whether I put some additional nails and roves through the stringer and hull as well as the sScrews into the ribs.
Any thoughts or suggetions?
cheers
peter

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”