Boat builds

Any questions? We will try and help.
Waywood

Boat builds

Postby Waywood » 28 Nov 2022, 22:14

Hi Members I'm new and old to this forum. I may have been part of a classic group on fb. I have a question for those talented folks on here, so here goes. I'm looking for timber types and where to buy them?. Mainly the frame timbers to build smaller projects. I assume pine is unsuitable even if painted? Idea is that the boats are cheap but still of some quality. Thank you for any help you can give. Matt

Bob Vic

Re: Boat builds

Postby Bob Vic » 29 Nov 2022, 08:17

Welcome to the forum Matt. There is a great variety of timber species that can be used for boat framing. Depending on your location you can check out a variety of web sites where timber merchants have a description of the timber species that they carry and the common applications. As a start, meranti, beech, oregon come to mind but you will find a good run down at this link... https://brittontimbers.com.au/applications/boating/ It is largely going to come down to your application and what species are available and at what cost.

Waywood

Re: Boat builds

Postby Waywood » 29 Nov 2022, 22:44

Thank you Bob. I've never heard of them. They seem to have it all and hopefully they can help a newby.

Return to “Restoration Help and Advice”