Gippsland Wet Together

Notification and details of upcoming club and related events
Admin
Site Admin

Gippsland Wet Together

Postby Admin » 06 Mar 2009, 14:13

Seeing as this Wet Together is only a couple of weeks away, below is a collection of posts from the old Bulletin Board regarding the event:

Bob Vic:

Up at Narrandera, Greg mentioned a Victorian wet together at the Gippsland Lakes (Paynesville) with March being suggested. We are down at Newlands Arm and I reckon that if we are to have an event, Dawsons Cove would be ideal.

paynes 01.jpg
paynes 01.jpg (67.49 KiB) Viewed 10398 times

paynes 02.jpg
paynes 02.jpg (135.52 KiB) Viewed 10398 times

paynes 03.jpg
paynes 03.jpg (187.01 KiB) Viewed 10354 times

This is at the Eastern end of Newlands Arm, just across the water from Paynesville. As you can see from the photos there is a long sandy beach, a no-boat zone so kids can swim, public toilets and a boat ramp alongside. The ramp is not the greatest but it does the job. There is heaps of car and trailer parking space in the adjacent parkland. The water is well protected from pretty much all directions. This is the only designated ski zone on the lakes so it is a very wooden boat club friendly place, and we also have a number of members in this area.

What do you think? Over to you Greg.

cawpb:
Bob
There was a bit of discussion about the lakes and the Paynesville area and much of that discussion revolved around concerna about the salt water. Some locals might be able to shed some more details on this, but I seem to remember that at the Paynesville end, the water tends more towards brackish than salt thanks to the Mitchell River. With the recent good rains in Gippsland, I figure the inflows into the lakes would be helping in that regard. The water couldn't be any worse than the "soup" at Lake Leake.

Personally, I'd be more ethan happy to put the boat in on the lakes. It is a great area and there is whole lot of good and well protected water there. Accommodation wouldn't be a hassle either.

OK people, I reckon I'm looking for a bit of feedback here.

bauchy:
yep book me in, i cant bring my woody so just spectate again.

im gna open a can of worms, seeing as its such a long beach can i bring my glass boat and park it at the other end of the beach from the woodys so it doesnt look like i have anything to do with the club?? if it offended anyone i wont do it but hate to drive all that way and not have a ski on nice water.

cawpb:
Brian

As an official club day, the plastic won't be welcome.

Rest assured though, there will be plenty of boats to ride in or drive and plenty of people willing to take you for a ski.

bauchy:
ok greg i'll be there if this goes ahead. the crappa can stay at home and i'll stick me ski in the boot. look forward to seeing everyone again

Bob Vic:
Lack of interest says something to me. Who would participate if we went to Glenmaggie instead. It was full January 3rd so we assume that come March there is still water there.

Who has their hand up for Glenmaggie/

bootlegger:
Hey Bob. Listen to the noise being made on the Australia day Post.

cawpba:
Ever the optimist, I figure there are still many of us away boating somewhere and not reading these posts.

The newsletter goes in the post tonight and mentions Glenmaggie and Paynesville as well as Penrith (maybe too late for that now), so we'll see if that generates anything. Otherwise, it might be just you, Brian and I for a weekend at Paynesville, Bob.

woodside:
Hi Guys, im not part of you club as yet but i was wondering if it would be okay to still attend your wet together in Victoria where ever you decide to have it. Id love to bring my old hammond clinker down for you guys to have a look at and give me some advice on, also id like to check out your guys boats i think i could learn alot.

cawpb:
Cam
You would be most welcome

woodside:
Thanks Greg i will keep an eye on the web sight for updates on a place and time.

Yog57:
You're right Greg, still away up the river, I'd be in depending on the dates. Do you have any in mind ?

bauchy:
maybe the momentum here is just slow haha
wim still keen to go so im not fussed if there is 2 boats or ten. just be glad to get away from work for a change.
where is glen maggie??

rustytin:
Im interesested in going

Darren:
Guys,
I think for the first "get the ball rolling" day gathering Glenmaggie is the preferable option - allowing the water level is appropriate.
It is a lot closer and there may be some synergy with the boat club.
For me Paynesville is a great option for a weekend escape even during winter as Bob can testify the weather is always good down there! (and plenty of good accommodation)

dazza66:
Hi I'm interested in going just need bit of notice and try and bring a boat.

Oldchips:
I'm with Bob, and not just cause I live nearby, The lake water is clear at present and salty as usual.
Plenty of ramps in the area and accommodation is no problem even Eagle Point camping is exceelent.
Remember when setting dates that the Marlay Point Yacht Race is on March 9th and the area could be very busy and accommodation short.
I aready have the contacts of at least six local boats that would be prepared to join in if such an event were to get up.
regards

Bob Vic:
What is the latest situation with regards a Victorian gathering? I just checked and Glenmaggie today 12/02 is at 60% of capacity.

Privateer:
We took the boat to the Hazelwood Pondages a few months ago, plenty of room, wasn't that busy at all. There is a toilet block at the boat ramp and thats about it, but there is a caravan park located on the lake as well, with BBQ's and toilets located next the the park, we saw plenty of people with their boats parked at the shoreline. The waters always at 25 odd degrees so its great for the kids! I had the plastic skiff out making plenty of noise and alot of fun for the day

Just thought I' throw it out there, prob slightly closer as well. http://maps.google.com.au...UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

We also went to lake narracan near moe, but found it got quite congested.

cawpb
:
Well, I think we've procrastinated long enough.

We are going to set a date for a Gippsland Lakes weekend wet together (most likely Paynesville) - the weekend of the 28th and 29th. There has been a good bit of interest for the lakes area as a venue and while it is a decent drive for Melbournians and those further afield, a quick calculation of local and potential Melbourne boats shows at least 8 boats, probably 10, making it worthwhile. I'm sure more will turn up. Glenmaggie is pretty much shot with the water level down to 50% at this time.

We are currently looking into accommodation and other related details. To help better with this, if you are interested in coming along, please let us know. It is fairly short notice for a weekend away, but if we don't do something soon, the opportunity will be lost.

Bob Vic:
That's great news Greg. We will be there with Turbo Fire. Might even drag the Chris Craft Nirvana out of the shed for people to look over.

There is a lot of interest amongst those who live in around the Bairnsdale/Paynesville area so let's hope that they register and all roll up with their boats.

For anyone coming from Melbourne I have some brochures on the Allawah Caravan park and Captains Cove units that I can mail to you. They are adjacent to one another in Paynesville in the canals and have on water mooring/jetties. The caravan park has cabins and their own boat ramp.

Yog57:
Rang the caravan park yesterday to book but they are booked out (wedding) Do you have any others you could recommend?

Woodside:
Hi Guys as i poseted earlier im not a member as yet but i would still like to come up ill bring my Hammond clinker Woodside up with me.

Bob Vic:
Alan - there is another park in Paynesville - Resthaven ph 03 5156 6342 or just out of Paynesville at Eagle Point there is the Lake King Waterfront Caravan Park 03 5156-6387 & also at Eagle Point, the Eagle Point Caravan Park 03 5156-6232.

Distance wise Eagle Point is a km or two closer to Newlands Arm by road than Paynesville, but the travel distance isn't that far from either location. I'm not familair with the parks so can't recommend one ahead of the rest.

Let me know how you go so we can share the information with others looking for accommodation.

cawpb:
Cam

By all means bring the boat along.

I'm dustng the cobwebs out of Stormy. Last time it was in the water was May last year! Maybe I should start wetting it out now after this years summer.

Darren:
Not happy Jan!
Unfortunately we are not able to attend. Some things just cant be changed although Ive tried.
I am envious as there is alot of Gippsland knowledge and faces I will miss out on.
Was looking forward to meeting Max Shepherd who lives on Raymond Island (built the small skiff)
Still a remote chance of a day trip down on Sunday.
Darren

cawpba:
Darren
That's really unfortunate. Hopefully you can make it on Sunday.
Greg

dazza:
Greg unable to attend got to work saturday to far for one day
Darren

Jeff:
Greg
I'm booked in will arrive early in the week and depart on Sunday evening.
The plan is to travel south from Lara cross on the ferry to a little place called Rosebud to catch up with a couple of mates.
Then set off to Paynesville for a day and overnight stay which would be the Saturday.
Hopefully will find accomodation on arrival if not we will have to sleep in the back of the ute.
I had plans to stay longer for a motorcycle rally at Healesville but it has been cancelled due the fires.
Jeff

cawpba:
Darren (dazza)
Understand, it is a big drive for a day, particularly from the other side of the bay as well. At least you'll be out there earning it instead of spending it.
Greg

cawpba:
Jeff
Great news that you'll be able to get there. Apparently there is a wedding on over the same weekend, but accommodation shouldn't be a problem. There is always Bairnsdale.
Greg

Greg

Darren

Re: Gippsland Wet Together

Postby Darren » 08 Mar 2009, 21:23

Guys,
Unfortunately I cant make the whole weekend.
Maybe just one day
:(
Darren

rustytin

Postby rustytin » 12 Mar 2009, 19:02

Sorry guys, I dont think I can make it, Have only been back to work for 3 days now on light duties, and have not been abel to do any thing at all to the boat or any thing else for that matter!!!! Even mild sun burns the new skin, so I will not risk more damage at this time. Hope the weekend is a good one for you.
Ross

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 12 Mar 2009, 20:04

No problems Ross, there's always a next time. Getting the hand sorted out is the important thing at the moment and not to be jeopardised.

There is good support coming in from the locals at the moment, so boat numbers will be OK. It looks like we might even have some classic four wheeled stuff on the bank to support us as well.

Greg

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 21 Mar 2009, 09:21

Well, less than week to go now.

If you are coming, please let me know so as I have a bit of an idea of numbers.

Some details for the weekend:

Saturday March 28th
Morning arrival at leisure & launch at Dawsons Cove.
Concrete ramp and floating jetty on site
Ample space for parking & trailers.
Sandy beach
There will be a CAWPBA sign identifying us
Toilets on site
If BBQing, BYO BBQ as there is no fuel on site

5:00 pm
Pack up & depart site

Sunday March 29th
Arrive & launch at leisure Dawsons Cove

12:30
Lunch time group informal chat/review

4:30 pm
Official end of day

Some further details will be emailed to members who have advised they will be attending.

See the map below for directions

Dawsons Cove.jpg
Dawsons Cove.jpg (85.94 KiB) Viewed 10086 times

Greg

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 29 Mar 2009, 21:35

We had eleven boats turn up on Saturday and a few less on Sunday.
The weather was superb on both days.
Plenty of crystal clear water.
Great place, great people, great company.
What a fabulous weekend!
Greg

pynsvle.jpg
pynsvle.jpg (87.49 KiB) Viewed 9918 times

Bob Vic

Postby Bob Vic » 30 Mar 2009, 13:55

Well stated Greg - the weather was absolutely superb (it's like this all the time down here) and everyone that turned up seemed to have a good time. Let's hope that the ramp is upgraded by the time we have our next gathering on the Gippsland Lakes.

Bob

Paul SA

Postby Paul SA » 31 Mar 2009, 18:52

Looks like a gerat week end its a pitty i wasnt there but where is some more photos.
Paul

olchips

Postby olchips » 31 Mar 2009, 22:21

yes what a great turn out
thank you
we will have more classics next time
Richard and Barb
Attachments
all good boats.jpg
all good boats.jpg (133.88 KiB) Viewed 9733 times

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 07 Apr 2009, 16:06

I have uploaded a few highlights from the weekend on to You Tube.

Note that if it says the video is no longer available, click the "HQ" button (if anyone knows why it does that and how I can fix it, I'd like to know).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hxbnj2e2e8

Greg

Return to “Get Togethers and Events”