The Spook

Notification and details of upcoming club and related events
The Spook

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 20 Mar 2014, 17:11

Hi

I just wanted to let everyone know that The Spook will get its first launching this Saturday.

10.30 am at Tomago boat ramp just north of Newcastle.

Spook

Reklaw

Re: The Spook

Postby Reklaw » 20 Mar 2014, 19:42

Hi Bob,
It's been a long time coming. Hope all goes well with the christening. Hope you get a pic or better still a video to show us.
Bob W

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 21 Mar 2014, 11:20

Recklaw
Thanks for the reply, to be honest I hadn't even thought about photo's etc. I'll dig out the camera and see if the video camera works.

Bob

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 21 Mar 2014, 14:08

Well

It just passed its first test and started in the garage.

Spook

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 21 Mar 2014, 22:48

Bob tbey all start in the garage. Good luck tomorrow.

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 22 Mar 2014, 07:52

Dave

I have to take any positives that I can. I normally don't have issues with engines but this one has now been in and out of this hull twice and this is the third "in". The first two times that I put it in I pulled down the engine A frame and put it away. This time I've left it up.

The engine has been started and run twice (two separate occasions with some maintenance in between) on the trailer at Tomago with a hose and run for twenty minutes each time, so we know that it runs ok so far. Yesterday was just a part of my normal routine where I always start the engine the day before in the garage prior to taking it to a test run or race day. I only run it for about 10-15 seconds just so that I know it starts and runs.

Bob

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 22 Mar 2014, 15:44

Ok Folks

It has been run.

The engine started fine on the trailer and warmed up ok.

Put it in the water and it started on about the third kick and accelerated well from the bank as soon as I hit the pedal. The sponsons appeared to have no problems lifting out of the water and it came up onto the plane easily. The engine appears to have a decent amount of grunt and although I only had the rev limiter set at 5000 rpm it hit that easily.

After a couple of laps I was able to start sliding it into the turns and it handles just like the old one did. My first impression is that it is a little nose heavy, as when you start to straighten it out and accelerate down the straight it seems to pick up the tail a bit quicker than the sponsons do.

The down side was that we had to cut the drive short as the gearbox filled with water and was spewing caramel milkshake out into the boat. The gearbox is water cooled but that doesn't mean we cool the oil by mixing the water with it.

Some more work to do.

Spook

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 22 Mar 2014, 16:36

That's not bad for first time in the water Bob. At least it didn't want to do submarine impersonations like another boat that we know. Now how about those pics??
Bob W

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 22 Mar 2014, 17:43

Well done.

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 22 Mar 2014, 18:40

Unfortunately no photo's as camera is saying card full????????????????????????

Do have little bit of video and I now have to work out how to upload it.

Bob

Return to “Get Togethers and Events”