Goolwa April 2013

Notification and details of upcoming club and related events
The Spook

Re: Goolwa April 2013

Postby The Spook » 02 Apr 2013, 21:08

I had a problem with a holley red pump once. They are set up standard to pump 7lb of pressure, however this can be too much for some carbies and they overpower the float and needle and seat setup. If its a holley red you need to back off the pressure spring a bit. You do this by adding fibre washers under the pressure screw. I added one washer and it was fine after that.

My experience with standard mechanical fuel pumps is that they generally cant handle any significant amount of revs. Any engine that pulls 6000 rpm or more, would benefit seriously from an electric pump. Most carbies are comfortable with about 5lb of fuel pressure. The volume capability of the pump is whats important and a holley red electric pump will pump its volume capability set at 5lb and exceed any standard mechanical pump.

Just for the record my 308 has been spun to over 8000 rpm and with a standard mechanical pump it will die at 6200 rpm. I am however currently running a custom made mechanical pump which is claimed to be capable of performing up to 8500rpm. The reason I went back to mechanical was because of power supply problems from when I used to run a total loss battery system, but it took some work to find the aftermarket mechanical pump for the 308. I havnt had a fuel supply problem since I found the aftermarket mechanical pump. I have now gone to running an alternator and I could go back to an electric pump now, but I dont need to with the pump I have.

Spook

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 02 Apr 2013, 22:04

Stuart
I'll be there with Impact

dazza66

Postby dazza66 » 03 Apr 2013, 11:18

I'll be there with afalfa.
Darren

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 03 Apr 2013, 20:42

Darren, good to hear you can make it to Goolwa. I have some cash for you for those manifolds. Thanks again for getting them over.

RUDE is about 15ft 1inch long and running a stock 350 with I think 11% gears. Its an Everingham runabout that's been reconfigured as a Skiff and replanked etc by Ron Johnson.

Paul SA

Postby Paul SA » 03 Apr 2013, 21:37

I will be there with the hammond if the chap has fixed the leak in the tank. I spent all day today pulling the tank out and as it is under the floor between the cock pit and rear seat i had to pull the hole boat apart. Not a job i want to do again as i think that they built the boat around the tank.
Paul

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 04 Apr 2013, 18:18

I have to pull out of goolwa this year. One frustration after another has meant i simply cant get an engine together in atomic.
I had my heart set on running a hydro again especially seeing atomic is an ex adelaide boat.

The other reason i had to pull out is ive lost both of my forklift training contracts which made me great money. One company still hasnt paid me since before christmas and our past health problems have meant i just dont have a couple of thousand dollars for a weekend away.

Im devastated but its just the way it is for now.

Im sure ill be missing an awsome weekend.

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 04 Apr 2013, 20:04

Sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it to Goolwa Dave. I know you've tried hard to get an engine together, but it just wasn't meant to be. Hope things improve for you on the work front soon.

Want me to get back to you about and rumours, innuendos or blatant lies that blokes like Hookster might spread about you on the weekend?

Bob

hookster

Postby hookster » 05 Apr 2013, 07:06

Bob if Dave is not going to attend at Goolwa, then there will be none of his legendary road trip exploits to feed off!! I would put a wager on it that he'll actually turn up - odds of 5:1, any takers? Jon.

Thommo

Postby Thommo » 05 Apr 2013, 20:16

Sorry to hear you cant make it this time around Dave :(
But at least now, you have twelve months to prepare for the next one :)

Cheers
Jeff

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 05 Apr 2013, 22:13

Thommo wrote:Sorry to hear you cant make it this time around Dave :(
But at least now, you have twelve months to prepare for the next one :)

Cheers
Jeff

Thanks jeff. I started on atomics engine three months ago.
Just too much has happened in that time to really focus on it properly.
Im kinda hoping i might have it together for the bridge race.

Jon you hetter raise those odds to a thousand to one.
I had been working on my blinky bill look and even bought a decent car for the road trip.
A 2009 ve six litre calais wagon. Bloody thing flies.
Like jeff said next year with bells on.

Return to “Get Togethers and Events”