Yarra or Maribinong cruise

Notification and details of upcoming club and related events
Greg
Creator

Re: Yarra or Maribyrnong cruise

Postby Greg » 02 Feb 2013, 10:22

OK, it sounds like we need to firm up on numbers coming.

There is limited mooring at the pontoons. I'll have a look at how many boats we can put on. The river is lined with bluestone, so pulling up on the bank is not an option.

piquet95971

Re: Yarra or Maribinong cruise

Postby piquet95971 » 02 Feb 2013, 10:47

Yeah right:
I'll bring my floatie along with no deck, no seats, no steering and watch all you yahoos give it a big tow at warp factor 10, swamp the insides and then all stand around and falling all over the place in laughter with cameras in hand! It would look good in the magazine.
I can see the headlines now.

"Wanted floaties for a non floatie"

I've seen the videos and the photos of your antics.
Of course this is all said with my tounge firmly planted in my cheek.

But seriously the boat wont be anywhere near ready for a public viewing in 4 weeks time. Wish it was but I'd like to keep it as a surprise for later in the year
cheers
Peter

Alan

Postby Alan » 02 Feb 2013, 10:51

I figured you would tell I was joking especially with the watertight comment about a weatherboard!

NPeth

Postby NPeth » 04 Feb 2013, 14:51

Firming up a number. :lol: Count Suffrajet

screwit

Postby screwit » 04 Feb 2013, 16:54

No one has said if it is sat or sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alan

Postby Alan » 04 Feb 2013, 19:36

I was thinking of Sunday the 3rd March, but what day works best for everyone?

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 04 Feb 2013, 20:09

3rd of March works ok for us so count us in !!

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 06 Feb 2013, 22:16

So let's make it Sunday.

I went and had a look at mooring facilities today. At the Boat House restaurant, there is mooring room for 3, maybe 4 boats pulled up against large timber pylons. The pontoon is for drop of and pick-up only. There is a pontoon on the opposite side of the river about half a K before the restaurant and out of sight of it. If we moored boats there, someone would have to stay and watch them. There is room for about about 5 boats on it.There is also mooring for probably only one boat outside the Anglers Hotel, also on the opposite side. The restaurant is a fair dinkum restaurant and bookings would be essential. No fast food here. They do pizza, but I don't think it's done as take-away.

About a K further up the river, there is a mooring pontoon near to picnic facilities, but it's only good for about 4 boats.

This river is lined with bluestone pitchers, so pulling into the bank it not really an option for us. If you continue up the river, the banks become natural again, but there is nowhere decent to pull ashore (rough scrub). When you get to Canning St, there are good picnic facilities, but very limited mooring with few options of pulling a boat into the bank, but better than elsewhere.

m prior bhouse.jpg
This is the mooring prior to the restaurant
m prior bhouse.jpg (383.53 KiB) Viewed 5967 times

anglers.jpg
The single mooring at the Anglers Hotel
anglers.jpg (407.59 KiB) Viewed 5963 times

m boathouse.jpg
Outside the Boat House restaurant. It would be awkward getting in an out of our boats from here as the water is about 4 - 5 feet below the level of the bank. That's the Anglers mooring in the background
m boathouse.jpg (459.14 KiB) Viewed 5966 times

after bhouse.jpg
Further on from the restaurant, adjacent picnic area
after bhouse.jpg (402.08 KiB) Viewed 5965 times

bank.jpg
Typical of the bank - bluestone pitchers
bank.jpg (347.31 KiB) Viewed 5962 times

canning.jpg
The mooring at Canning St - only good for about three boats
canning.jpg (439.82 KiB) Viewed 5963 times

hookster

Postby hookster » 07 Feb 2013, 07:48

That's incredibly well researched, documented and illustrated Greg. I must say that this Marybinong cruise takes the cake year after year for the most amount of fannying about :D Hope you're all going to do the Victorian thing with your hair-dos!

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 07 Feb 2013, 10:40

I have just had a look at google earth/ maps and just upstream from the Fisher Parade Bridge over the Maribynong River on the left is Edgewater Lake. This is open to the river and looking at the lake there is a pontoon landing. Which could accommodate 12-14 boats. I am not sure if there are any BBQ's there but it could be OK for a picnic spot.

I am unsure if power boats are allowed in there but there seems to be a lot of berths/pontoon spots there.
I know that kayaks are allowed there because in have paddled there and the maps/satellite view shows kayaks there.
The canning st landing has change since I was last ther in a rehearsal for the Murray river marathon. Iit's been totally rebuilt and looks a lot better than ever before but there is not much room for turning boats around. It was hard enough in a TK2.

We, Megan and I, are in for what ever is going down. We will meet where ever for the lunch part.

Cheers
Peter

Return to “Get Togethers and Events”