Spotto in Mt Gambier

All things general in here
Thommo

Spotto in Mt Gambier

Postby Thommo » 13 Jan 2012, 14:38

Had this pic sent to me today by friends in Mt Gambier.
Spotted at Valley Lake over the christmas break.

Thats quite a motor for an old boat :shock:

DaveD

Re: Spotto in Mt Gambier

Postby DaveD » 13 Jan 2012, 15:25

Hope its got good rivets! Seems to be on a sharp angle too?
Anymore pics?
Dave

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 13 Jan 2012, 21:56

now thats an engine hahaha the boat looks in pretty good nick also. the sound would be awesome to have right behind your head. wouldnt like to flip a belt though !!

echotoo

Postby echotoo » 14 Jan 2012, 09:57

Nice looking timber and finish!

Motor sits very high and looks to be driven from the flywheel end, guessing it's chev. A severe prop shaft angle like this would have to have some issues especially at speed which I think this boat would be looking for! Is there a terminal speed for certain prop angles?

The trailer is either stainless steel or yet to be completed gal (unpainted welds). The low profile tires and suspension look cool but won't be very nice to the boat! Could have air bags though!

All the 6-71 style blowers I have seen are very loud. Just noticed the gilmer belt drive which means there will have to be blow off valves in the manifold, if the BOV's open they dump raw fuel air mix into the hull, not a good thing for the boat and it's occupants!

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 14 Jan 2012, 10:39

Welcome to the board James.

I'd have to agree about the low profiles not being kind to the hull, but I don't reckon the motor would be too kind either.

echotoo

Postby echotoo » 14 Jan 2012, 12:26

Thanks Greg, will do a bit of an intro with some pictures when I get some time! Too busy at the moment skiing and/or recovering!!!!!!!

I have a bit of a theory regarding power; "More power = less hull in the water = less drag on hull". It is obvious that more power has to be a win win. But I think the noise and fuel economy of that thing would be a big issue for our family!

reddwarf

Postby reddwarf » 14 Jan 2012, 16:52

do the words fuel economy apply to ski boats :?:

echotoo

Postby echotoo » 20 Jan 2012, 22:27

reddwarf wrote:do the words fuel economy apply to ski boats :?:

Fuel economy in relation to performance, yes!! When I fitted the blower to my boat there were 2 issues that would have seen it removed, these being fuel economy and noise. The blower is still there, both of the issues turned out to be non-issues with it running for 56 hours last season and 12 hours so far this season, I'm using 12 to 13l/hour, which works out as a bit over $1k in fuel per season. Mates plastic outboard ski boat uses 20l/hour, with 115hp egg beater, other mates wake ship, 225hp egg beater uses an undisclosed (he will not tell) amount of fuel, I try to count how many tanks he connects up per day!

I really do need to get out of this thread and write an introduction!!!!!!!!!

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 21 Jan 2012, 23:20

so much talk about blowers makes me want one on my engine. time to ditch the twin turbos and get a 671 i think,

in regards to terminal speed for a mid mount there was a glass called spell bound a few years ago that was suppose to be capable of 85mph? with a worked 350 chev.. i could be wrong with the speed but i remember it was a silly speed. personally i dont believe it but from what ive seen i believe if you have a mid mount boat doing 60mph its quik. quik for any boat i think.

the exception to the rule is glued and screwd ( boat is in the club i think? ) which was a mid mount and blown holden v8 . was a pretty trick set up and was a quick boat. did i mention it had a blower? sounded awesome. get on you tube and type in glued and screwed southern 80 and it comes up. good to watch.

brian

Return to “Main Room”