All things general in here
bauchy

Re: Boat ajustments

Postby bauchy » 28 Jan 2012, 19:56

nice work ross. sounds like your sorting it out. can you do mine next??? haha

echotoo

Postby echotoo » 28 Jan 2012, 22:03

screwit wrote:Fitted another rudder and a bigger water pump and took it out for a test. I think the temp gauge is not reading the true temp as the discharge copper pipe was all most abel to be touched by my hand when running.
Steering is nice and light now and great to drive.
Ross

Ross, do you have some pictures of the rudder you had to the rudder you changed to? I'm interested to see the differences.

I changed props from an austral ski prop to a lundberg cleaver type prop and ended up with a heap of torque through the rudder to the steering wheel, bent the rudders top trailing edge opposite the direction of the prop to neutralise the torque.

screwit

Postby screwit » 29 Jan 2012, 19:30

The rudder I have on is 3mm stainless 11" x 6 1/2 with a 1 1/4 leeding front edge and a 3/4 shaft but the shaft runs down the rudder most of the length of the blade and ground down to a long taper all most blending into the blade on all edges to limit the drag in the water,
Tha other rudder was the same but cut shorter by 1" and followed the same angle as the prop shaft, the leading edge was cut back to 3/4 to nill at the bottom and the blade width was 7 1/2" but a sectoin scoloped out of the top tail edge 3" x 1 1/2 " down the blade, this was to heavy to steer.
The changes to the last one I speeke of was made because it fixed some problems on my sons boat , but did not work on mine and changed back to my old one witch has fixed mine.
The first rudder I made the shaft only went down 4" in to the blade and the would bend with torque and this made the boat handle worse as the day went and made the boat ride up on its side when you backed off so the where strengthened with 3/8 stainless rod welded down both sides and ground and blended, It dosnt bend now,

Return to “Main Room”