Boat ajustments

All things general in here
screwit

Boat ajustments

Postby screwit » 15 Nov 2011, 08:56

Hi have finaly got started on SCREWIT and pulled the motor out. Plan is to move the engine back 75mm.
To do this, I must cut in to the cross frame under the dog clutch for clearance for dog clutch housing, cut into the bearers and ajust the shape of the angle iron frame that the motor sits on to lower the engine about 17 mm as it moves back. I have cut out the bridge deck out from behind the engine lid and will cut the forward bridge deck out later as center deck would be to far forward as I have all ready moved the motor back 75mm before just after I got the boat going and have never been happy with the plaining of the boat. It got worse when I played with the rudder, boat sucking in to the water , dragged in by the thicker rudder.
Once the engine is refitted into position a new sump will have to be made and some thing to stiffen the cross frame up. All the side ply panels will not be going back in, this will give more room inside the boat about 100mm each side and shed some weight. Driver seat will get moved back in the process and weight distubution will help lift the nose out of the water I hope!!!!
Hope to have it going for Xmas
Ross

Greg
Creator

Re: Boat ajustments

Postby Greg » 15 Nov 2011, 21:42

Ross
You sound pretty busy. I'll be up on the weekend, I might drop in and have a "sticky".
Greg

screwit

Postby screwit » 21 Nov 2011, 19:51

Back at it today, steel frame made longer with a recess where the rear engine mount is . Bearer's are 2" narrower than std and engine ill not go between them. This part of the frame is plated both sides of the bearer as the timber bearers 3x3, are notched all most 1- 1/2 inches, this will give the strenth back to the bearer's.
Cross frame is cut down from 2" to 1" this will need to have extra timber add beside it.The motor is in now with out the sump to mesure the distance between bottom of the block and the keel and the sump alted to suit, may do this tomorrow.
Ross

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 21 Nov 2011, 22:45

hey ross,
ive been talking to a few guys lately about making clinkers and bondwoods handle better. each guy i speak to says the water pick ups need to be as far back as possible, this will stop or reduce porpousing and make the boat ride flatter in the water.

with my bond wood the pickups were located in the cav plate. at some stage they had been mounted forward of the skeg so maybe this theory could be true? mine use to run flat and handle realy well so could this be an option for you???

ill drop past very soon and have a look. ive been flat out on mine also so i should see you on the water for xmas.

brian

screwit

Postby screwit » 11 Dec 2011, 22:22

Got back to the boat today and cut out the front bridge beam/deck in front of engine and trimmed the rear one down about 15mm in width to refit between the iner deck 140mm back down towards the back of the boat.
Used the off cut to add to the front one each side and glued them on. then trimmed it to fit between the deck 140mm rear ward from where it came from.
Have now glued both in place and no need to recoat the deck , all fitting flush and nice. this was not easy to do as all the angles changed as they move back and nothing to square off to take mesurments with no gaps'
Next will be to trim the engine lid down in width to fit and remount the front seat and throttle and dog clutch handel as it is now 140mm back.
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 20 Dec 2011, 13:41

Timber work almost complete, Put more angle on the dash to lift the steering wheel up a little, all the iner trims cut ,shaped, and fitted. Now Im painting and staining them before final fit. I will get back to the sump and dog clutch handle and shorten the prop shaft when I get back from Bundaberg QLD.
This has turned in to a larger job than I thought! I could of had the little skiff going with less work!!!!
Ross

screwit

Postby screwit » 05 Jan 2012, 22:50

To day I finished the sump apart from fitting a baffle and hinged gate in the bottom near the oil pick up. The pick up was bent and ajusted for clearance to suit the new sump.
The engine cover has now been narrowed to suit the new shape of the deck profile and will need some timber added inside to strengthen it as the sides have been narrowed 10mm each side at the rear only leaving 8mm of frame material.
Hard to get back in to it after having a good break.
Ross

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 05 Jan 2012, 23:01

sounds good ross, if your chasing an meranti let me know. i know a guy in bendigo with plenty and in big sizes. its all rough sawn but he machines it up to what ever size you need for a couple bucks a metre. ive got all my new deck frame material off him and its been good. ill swing past and visit you soon

brian

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 05 Jan 2012, 23:02

sounds good ross, if your chasing an meranti let me know. i know a guy in bendigo with plenty and in big sizes. its all rough sawn but he machines it up to what ever size you need for a couple bucks a metre. ive got all my new deck frame material off him and its been good. ill swing past and visit you soon

brian

screwit

Postby screwit » 05 Jan 2012, 23:37

Sounds good Brian, I need some for bearers in the little skiff, I will try to get the a tape in it to get some sizes, big skiff will need sone deck stringers to.
Ross

Return to “Main Room”