New Boat

All things general in here
Stu

Re: New Boat

Postby Stu » 02 Apr 2011, 02:15

Hi Dave,

well thats awsome!! your making some great progress there.

I just wanted to know, which glue did you use. I used HT9000 from international and mixed that powder into it to thicken it up a bit, but am not 100% happy with it because later on you see the white glue, so it's only realy good for the areas where it gets painted over.

Well keep up the awsome work

all ther best

Stu

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 02 Apr 2011, 07:51

Ed come over any time you like.
Stu I used norglass epoxy glue. Its already thickened.
I tried using the glue and mixing the powder but I hated using it. All those micro balloons flying around everywhere.
The glue I used still dries white. The only place you see it on my boat is around the transom. I mixed up a similar colour paint and with a fine brush painted it out. I've also mixed oxides into the glue but the glue seemed to crumble when it dried.
I'm hoping to get another cost of varnish on today.

Stu

Postby Stu » 04 Apr 2011, 17:22

right those glass micro baloons are a bit aggrovating, I also tried it with mixing in fine sanding powder so as to immitate the colour of the wood, but it came out looking more like a coffee colour.

I'll try and get my hands on some of that norglass epoxy.

Thanks again

Stu

Nick

Postby Nick » 07 Apr 2011, 22:48

Hello All
I have posted a video of Alfra
http://youtu.be/ZmHIi39kAx8

Nick

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 24 Apr 2011, 19:29

Well over the last couple of weeks I managed to get twelve coats of varnish on.
I not'm happy with the result but I'll let it harden up for a couple of weeks and then give it another go.

Today I took the boat to the toronto boat festival. It was a hectic week trying to get it all together. I was up till two this morning still doing stuff. I didn't even go home to sleep.. I just got a mattress on the floor and tried to sleep till it was time to drive up at six am.

The boat really came out nice. I got a lot of favourable comments.

Next job is to get the engine done and fit her out.

I'm glad I'm home now. I'm stuffed

PeterH

Postby PeterH » 24 Apr 2011, 21:10

Dave,I was at the Toronto boat festival and spoke to you about your boat.I am the one thats owns the Hammond Special Edition that was there.I have the number of a guy that has some long lengths of Australian Cedar you may want.I didn't catch you before you left. Give me a call on 0407862864 and i will give you his number.Nice boat too.

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 24 Apr 2011, 21:14

Dave

Absolutely gotta hand it to you! Your passion and drive are amazing.

And to think, you could have been at Wanaka! 2013 mate.

Greg

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 25 Apr 2011, 08:05

Thanks greg. Wanaka would have been great. Do you know if they got the mosquito in the air.

Peter I got that guys number. I think he was going around everywhere trying to flog it off.

I rang him last night. I'm hoping to buy it all. I still need to make all the seats. If the lengths are long enough I'll use them to plank my other pre war racer. Gee whizz.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 27 Apr 2011, 08:57

Heres a link to the Newspaper article about ALFRA. http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/ ... 42963.aspx. Maybe someone will past it up here.

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 27 Apr 2011, 15:06

The boat looks fantastic Dave. It's a real credit to you, well done.
Bob

Return to “Main Room”