New Boat

All things general in here
Nick

New Boat

Postby Nick » 16 Apr 2009, 23:53

Someone has got themselves a real gem
A Towns built speed boat
That is a big thing in its own rite
But not only is it a Towns boat but its a Towns boat built in 1930 to a set of imported 1928 chris Craft plans
I might have spelt Towns wrong by the way

Nick

Re: New Boat

Postby Nick » 16 Apr 2009, 23:59

The photo's do not do it justice
When seen from the side and above as it would look in the water , it looks stunning
Nick

Sunbeam11

Postby Sunbeam11 » 17 Apr 2009, 21:08

Hi Nick,
I've been reading the CAWPA BB over the last 12 months and this is my first post, but I had to comment on this find as I am rather into the 20's, 30's classics..racers as well as lake boats, but man... this is a find, especially in Aust. What a classic....well done.. and it looks in great condition.
Again.. you lucky bugger
Peter G

Nick

Postby Nick » 18 Apr 2009, 07:50

I just wish it was me that found it !
Maybe the owner can post a few pics as he has allready started work on it, and at a furious pace as usual
Nick

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 18 Apr 2009, 08:16

Thanks Sunbeam. How are you going with the triple?. This boat was in the trading post a few weeks ago. When I saw the ad I dropped everything and drove up to get it. Sadly my Falcon had other ideas and blew another head gasket. I got the car home jumped into another and 5 hours after I left I got to Toronto 130km away.

ALFRA was built in 1931 out of Australian Red Cedar by the Towns Brothers (Eddy and Norman). The design (Chris Craft Sedan Racer) was published in the 1927 Popular Mechanics Magazine. Its 23 ft long and only 5.5ft wide.

It was the RMYC Toronto Champion for 31,32 and 35 driven by the guys 13 year old son David Giles. During the war it was taken by the Army and used as the brigadeers personal Launch. After the war it was handed back to the family.
In the early 60s it was given a "Resto" By diagonally skinning the boats sides and ply was laid over the decks.
In a weird twist of fate this practise has preserved the Red Cedar from deteriorating. Its like new underneath.

The original Universal Marine 6 was replaced with a Holden six.

After that the boat sat in its boat shed until it was donated in 2005 to the Newcastle Maritime Museum when again it was stored.
The boat was given to a volunteer who put it into storage and never paid the bill. It was sold to me recover the debt.
Ive had no sleep since I bought it 3 weeks ago as it didnt come with a trailer. I got dudded on a deal recently and didnt want it to happen again. Ive spent the last few nights and days putting a trailer together (plus putting a new motor and box in the Falcon) to finally get it Last Thursday night (Thanks Nick for your help).

When I picked it up the guy that originally put it into storage gave me a file on its history with period photos and the families home movies with the boat running/racing. They must have been wealthy to have a movie camera back in the 30's.

As soon as I got it home I started to strip off the diagonal planking to reveal the original planking which so far looks to be in good condition. It needs a new bottom and replacing all the fastenings to get the boat solid again.
Last night I tracked down the original motor which the guy is happy for me to have so its full steam ahead.

Some expert Victorian boat restorer told the guy it was too far gone and the only way forward for ALFRA was to take the cabin off and build a new epoxy hull (and they call themselves restorers) for $50000.

This boat is just a beautiful Edwardian piece built by craftsman. I cant wait to get her back in the water.

I now have 4 Towns hulls. A racing scull built by the Father George in 1890, a little canoe also built by the Brothers and an American Towns Indian style canoe (no relation)

ALFRA just has to live again. Dave

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 18 Apr 2009, 19:24

Just spent all day removing the diagonal planking on one side. The Red Cedar underneath is mint. Ill get the other side and the deck done on Monday. Work has gone quiet so Im not stopping on this one till its done.

Sunbeam11

Postby Sunbeam11 » 18 Apr 2009, 23:50

My apologies Nick for the assumption, but after meeting Dave P a while back I am not surprised its him. And to you Dave.....you certainly have some contacts. Great find.

Well.....Dave, also an update to you other blokes that might know or be interested in Sunbeam11....a 19 ft. 1950 triple cockpit...(Aust built, but builder unknown as yet) i'm getting there going slowly, ply deck had to be routed off, from a previous restoration I think.... it was fully epoxied on. Using ther router worked really well not having to use heat gun and chisel etc. as it left the sub frame structure in good condition ready for new deck. A few deck beams etc due to rot/splits had to be replaced.

Transom also too far gone, so has been removed ready for templating a new one. Just set up pulley system/sling and electric winch in readiness to turn her over. After crawling around under her and seeing nearly every plank, including keelson etc has either rot, borer holes or bad splits, I've concluded to strip the whole bottom planking.

After speaking breifly to you about it at Nerrrandera, its been a big decision, but after all I do want to have a everyday usable boat, and to get another 60 odd years out of her yet. Its a tough call throwing aside some of its 60 years of character, its dings and even the old patina, thiose thing are hard to replace.

I'm definately keeping to original, the Ford V8 flatty motor.It needs resleaving or a new block. Missed out on a block on ebay for a bargain...bugga.You mentioned you may have one, so please hang onto it for me or let me know what you want to do with it. My aplogies for the novel. I will keep them short from now on.
Anyway good to catch up
cheers Peter G

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 19 Apr 2009, 10:32

Ive got blocks here. Just let me know and come up. Im sure I can help you. Dave

Dave88

Postby Dave88 » 19 Apr 2009, 18:44

What an awesome find. Looks great Dave. It amazes me that things like this are still hiding away. Look forward to seeing it on the water at some point down the track

Dave L

Sunbeam11

Postby Sunbeam11 » 19 Apr 2009, 22:21

Thanks Dave, I will let you know when I am up your way and arrange to drop around and see what you have in regards to the V8 side valve blocks. Much appreciated.
Gees Dave, when do you sleep??????
What a growing and great contrast of boats, club members now own, and as Dave 88 says, you never know whats lerking in some shed somehwere and it always pays to keep your eyes open.

Return to “Main Room”