New Boat

All things general in here
Alan

Re: New Boat

Postby Alan » 22 Aug 2010, 20:57

Dave,
she sure does look good, and the boats coming up a treat. Were you going to use another 6 ? It would be a shame to have to fit the Holden if out can get out of it.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 22 Aug 2010, 21:16

I was going to use an old Chrysler marine engine. Sidevalve six with twin updraft carbs.
I have the original 1923 Universal marine six out of the boat but the crankcase is blown out from corrosion. I could probably get it fixed but I wont have time or the money to do it now.
If I put the holden back in I guess I Could fit the Universal later. The holden is seized.
The Chrysler is the right era also and doesnt need to be rebuilt. Ill work something out.
Tommorrow Im going to fit the deck stringers and put the old deck back on.

I hope to roll it over on Saturday and take the bottom off. Im expecting it to be all stuffed underneath.

Alan

Postby Alan » 22 Aug 2010, 21:42

Dave,
I guess if you expect the worst you might get a nice surprise.
I suppose if you can find an old Holden 6 runner should be easy to get every thing back in the same holes and running till you can figure out the best option. The trouble is even Holden 6's are getting expensive to rebuild as well, now that ACL have stopped making pistons (and other parts) and the historic racing guys are using up all the good castings. You will have to put a lock on the engine cover for this year and keep us guessing.

Alan.

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 23 Aug 2010, 18:54

that looks awesome dave, great work

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 24 Aug 2010, 17:26

You're correct that ACL have stopped making pistons for the engines but they are still being made by Mahle. In my opinion they are better than before.
Now being one of those historic racing persons I would have to disagree about taking all the good castings. We are now allowed to use later model blocks for the toranas and even commodore blocks for the 308 Hq monaros.
There are also new cylinder heads being made to suit holden 6 engines both alloy and cast iron.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 28 Aug 2010, 20:32

This week I got the deck stringers fitted and today we stripped out the hull and rolled her over. I managed to pull the bottom off virtually with my bare hands. I reckon if the boat had been used one more time the bottom would have fallen off.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 29 Aug 2010, 19:24

I didn't touch the hull today. I'm still trying to work out my engine options. Whoever fitted the holden did a terrible job. They hacked out the main frame to clear the sump. The main frame had been wasted away that much that the bottom of the hull could be moved by hand. I thought I might see how bad the universal was. It was pretty hard to get apart but its in amazingly good condition.
They have an alloy crankcase with a cast iron cylinder block. What I cant believe is it has forged pistons, alloy rods and a seven bearing crank. You have to remember this is a twenties engine.
The cast cylinder block has cracked. I nned to see if it can be welded back up.

Nick

Postby Nick » 12 Sep 2010, 22:43

Some over due update photos of Alfra

How about a break from wood work
And do a little bit of Cast Iron welding

Mmm not so bad says Dave might try a bit more of that

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4150/4978432917_ca28d5bbb0_z.jpg/img]

And finally some engine shots

and thats all he managed to do this weekend
perhaps Greg as club President should have a sharp word in private about productivity

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 04 Oct 2010, 20:43

I made all new engine beds today. The old ones were a mess after what they did to g fit the holden. I also remade the frame where they cut it all away to clear the sump. Tomorrow I'll reinforce the other frames and them for the new beds with hand made copper bolts. Then I can finally fit the stringers and put the new bottom on. I've only got two weeks to get it presentable for the festival. I've given up on having an engine in it. It needs too much to try and rush it.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 12 Oct 2010, 23:59

Finally finished putting the new bottom on the hull.
Two layers of six mm ply. I glued the first later to all the frames with 3m 5200 and the second later with epoxy.
Tommorrow I will primer it up and paint it so we can tip it over thursday and put the deck and cabin back on for the
show.
Thats about as far as i can get it done in the time left.
Its really coming up nice.

Return to “Main Room”