DaveD

Re: Woody with Crossflow Grey Motor

Postby DaveD » 05 Jun 2011, 17:07

Cool motor, wonder where that boat is??
Dave

Alan

Postby Alan » 05 Jun 2011, 17:56

Is this "Bernadine" ? can't see the name but the dry sump tank and oil pump look interesting.
Alan.

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 05 Jun 2011, 18:27

Spot on Alan, I see its in one of the photos on the home page of our website.
Dave

Alan

Postby Alan » 05 Jun 2011, 18:27

Thought it was,
here it is in action.
It's in Qld still in the same family I think, sure would like to see it in the flesh one day.
Alan.
Attachments
Bernie at Jacks funeral 2a.jpg
Bernie at Jacks funeral 2a.jpg (27.27 KiB) Viewed 6151 times

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 05 Jun 2011, 18:39

that is a cool boat. i love it when they did dry sumps and all that good stuff back in the day. has any one got any more pics of inside the boat?

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 05 Jun 2011, 18:41

what sort of hull is bernadine? looks very similar to my clinker. bowe looks the closest shape ive seen and the planks all look the same shape and angles as mine

Alan

Postby Alan » 05 Jun 2011, 19:39

Thanks Dave, looked every where but there of course. Brian I don't have any more pics, but I'm sure that the oil pump is out of a washing machine, he was a true innovator.
Will see what I can find, I think I have details of the hull somewhere but I think it was built in Brisbane.

Alan.

Thommo

Postby Thommo » 05 Jun 2011, 20:34

Bernadine now resides in Newcastle NSW in the hands of the builders grandson, Luke
Here's what he posted on the Aussie V8 forum.

Grey motor powered with repco xflow head, whole engine was worked over by repco research back in the day! My grandfather had the boat built in the 50's and my father and i restored it and the engine to former glory a few years back.
It is a lumpy little sucker, runs 47.5 degree advance on the timing, twin down draft webbers with all jetting to run on racing alcohols etc. Runs a treat on avgas. It was dry sumped to allow it to sit lower in the boat as it is a direct drive off the crank shaft. It is currently running oversize flat tops, can't remember the bore from memory but have the specs from repco at Dads. I am just about to pull the engine out again and give it a freshen up as it has a buggered crank seal. Will grab progress shots as i go..

Here is a few pics from about 5 yrs ago, boat is being delivered to my place next week so will be able to get better close up shots of stuff then. In the pics you can see the heat exchanger tank dad made up for it, in the last pic you can just see the oil tank for the dry sumping. It has an old aircraft fuel pump as a scavenger pump for sump that has been tapped into the end of the cam shaft.
Since these pics were taken, it has had electronic ignition added in place of old dizzy too.
I am getting dad to bring around the original notes from repco so i can get the specs, will throw them up soon as i get them.

I am trying to register on that forum, to get in contact with him, to let him know we are here.
I'll keep you informed when I get some contact.

Cheers
Jeff

Alan

Postby Alan » 05 Jun 2011, 20:55

Good work Jeff, I talked with his dad a few years ago but have not heard anything since, would be good to see him as a member, and at Narrandera.
Alan.

Return to “Main Room”