Surface, or should that be semi-surfacing props.

All things general in here
Reklaw

Surface, or should that be semi-surfacing props.

Postby Reklaw » 01 Feb 2011, 21:07

Was reading Renojet's last post a little while ago and picked up on the surfacing prop that sets Jet apart from others. When Frank first put Jet in the water at Penrith and fired it up, it went, looked and sounded great. Pity it wouldn't play the game for the finale.
Anyway, this reminded me of a skiff that my brother Keith had back in the '70's. There's an bit of a story to be told here, so I thought I'd do a new Topic on Surfacing Props and our experience with them. The skiff was originally powered by a Peugeot 403, 4 Amals and all, a popular choice in those days, but the time came for a new "modern" motor. We picked up a second hand Datsun 1600 SSS motor and set about freshening it up ready for action in the skiff.
At the first trial fitting, as we were lowering the engine into the boat, I asked Keith "are you going to cut a hole in the bottom of the boat for the oil pump?" Guess we'd overlooked the fact that the Datto engine had an external oil pump that protruded somewhat lower than the engine.
After scratching our heads for a while and lubricating the brain with a coldie or two, we decided to raise the back of the motor significantly to overcome the oil pump problem, thus reducing the shaft angle and creating a surface (or is it semi-surface?) prop skiff.
In our first effort, the prop was about 10 inches behing the transom. The problem was, the bloody thing wouldn't go. No matter what revs it was taken to, it just did about 10 or so MPH. We consulted an old family friend, Ernie Nunn (guess you've heard of him) who advised that the solution was very simple. As the boat started to move, it created a depression behind the transom, followed by a wave. With the prop only 10 inched out the back, it was in the area of depression and was spinning in air.
The next step was to lengthen the skeg and shaft so that the prop was about 24 inches behind the boat. This did the trick. It took a while to get the thing out of the water and onto the plane. but it went like buggery. Our guess is about 65 MPH. The speed was never measured, the old skiff fell apart before we could do any time trials in it.
So, that's our surface prop story. The principle works whan you get it right.
Below is a photo of the little skiff with rooster tail, quite an unusual sight.
And here is a link to a video showing how the Thai's use the surface prop principle, to it's extreme, in their long boat racing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRvVOMPtwiI

Greg
Creator

Re: Surface, or should that be semi-surfacing props.

Postby Greg » 04 Feb 2011, 07:58

Thanks for that Reklaw - a good read.
Gotta love all that safety gear used in the Thai boat racing.
Greg

antique-boatique

Postby antique-boatique » 04 Feb 2011, 09:22

Deleted
Last edited by antique-boatique on 04 Feb 2011, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

antique-boatique

Postby antique-boatique » 04 Feb 2011, 09:27

Haines used this principle on one of their production boats with an extension housing from the stern - there was a very successful supercharged ski race Haines boat which from memory was called Firebird that was often seen on the Hawkesbury River

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 04 Feb 2011, 20:00

Thanks Greg & Antique. There's quite a few boats 'round that use surfacing prop technology, I think it's popular with the Ski boys. Using a surface prop on a skiff is a bit out of the ordinary, that's why I decided to do post on it. I can remember a small skiff using a surface prop at a race day at Silverwater once. I thought it was from Western Australia but the memory is a bit hazy. Anyway, it went like a blur. As for the Thai guys, did you notice the guy with one arm missing in the first few minutes of the video. One can only imagine how that happened.
Bob

antique-boatique

Postby antique-boatique » 04 Feb 2011, 22:10

I tried a hydro prop on my skiff at silverwater once and all it did was lift the stern and drive the nose into the water - I asked Ernie Nunn about it and he told me it was a surfacing prop rather than a semi surfacer

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 05 Feb 2011, 11:24

I have an article on that boat frome WA somewhere. The name of it is on the tip of my tongue. It ran a small engine maybe a cortina?
Surfacing props have been in use for a while.
During the 20's there was a company called Hickman sea sleds. They were a catamaran with surface props. They went well
George Crouch designed a boat for the I think 1924 Gold cup called Rainbow IV. It was radical design with a shingled bottom and surfacing prop.
Even though the design was aproved by the APBA it was subsequently disqualified after winning the Gold Cup. Baby Bootlegger (another Crouch design) was awarded the win.
Rainbow IV went on to set many endurance records

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 05 Feb 2011, 14:15

Dave
I think Scimitar II, running an Alfa.
Greg

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 05 Feb 2011, 21:28

Greg, I think you're on the money with Scimitar. Maybe I'll do some homework and see if I can come up with more details, hopefully a photo.
Bob

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 05 Feb 2011, 21:46

Thats it greg

Return to “Main Room”