Ex Matelots

All things general in here
reddwarf

Re: Ex Matelots

Postby reddwarf » 29 Jan 2011, 07:44

hello chris .lets hope that common sence if available prevails ,and our lords and masters go back to trade training .penrith was a blast racing around the rowing stadium at full spee at night tracked by spot lightis certainly different.and the public lined up all day for rides in the boats.

cbsynboat

Postby cbsynboat » 02 Feb 2011, 00:54

Hi Peter,
It would be good if they go to trade based trainining and more inhouse maintenance as they really need too. But also give personnel the time to do proper maintenance and have pride and ownership of their work. This is missing in many ways at present.
Penrith was a great event, it was easy to see that just by the pictures. Sounds as though the crowd was probably bigger than you get an an apba event! And also a great variety of interesting boats.
Cheers
Chris.

reddwarf

Postby reddwarf » 08 Feb 2011, 17:50

Its amazing when you put old boats in the water or old cars ,bikes and planes on display you attract crowds .the new race boats are great to watch but lack the character of old wooden boats .i like fast high tech boats but .our old boats get the people in and we can take them for a ride on the water. try that with a blown displacement boat. maybe the apba should get us to be at there events .as long as they donot charge an arm and leg to be there.

cbsynboat

Postby cbsynboat » 15 Feb 2011, 16:22

Hi Peter,
I think the APBA could do a lot more to attract people to boat racing. The older style boats definitely have more character and variety. Pity they don't seem interested in them running at events, it would have been good to see the boats run at Yarrawonga, but the organisers were only interested in the Jet Sprint boats. In the US the classic boats get quite a good showing and they have a lot of restored unlimited hydros that run, whilst here they have
banned unlimiteds?! It would appear the APBA are disregarding the heritage and history of boat racing in this country.

I find it almost ridiculous that they don't have 2, 3 or 4 Litre classes in this day and age. Not that I am into drag car racing, but you just have to look at the resurgance in the drag cars once they catered for the imports, it has gone through the roof. Maybe the APBA could take a leaf out of how ANDRA (drag cars) do business. If a stock 4AGE Toyota can do 100mph in a hydro, image how well a worked modern 2L would go.

There are heaps of great engines available cheaply from Japanese wreckers in this size range with both standard and aftermarket parts readily available if go searching. When I get my Syndicate it will probably receive a Lexus V8 and there are now some great bits available for them.

Enough rambling, the new hydro looks good!

Cheers Chris.

reddwarf

Postby reddwarf » 07 Apr 2011, 19:38

Hello all you old sea dogs ,not much happening started work on the hydro . eg repaired some deck cracks and started on removing the engine .i showed the boat to a mate who owns the local thriftyl ink hardware shop. i might get some sponsorship .but i still need the engine working .so hows life in the fleet still stuck in refit or are we done spending tax payers money o/s .

cbsynboat

Postby cbsynboat » 12 Apr 2011, 02:03

Hi Guys,
I am still stuck in Singapore for probably about another month. Eveyone is looking forward to going home soon, which will be good. Things are fairly hectic at present until we move back to our regular berth at Sembawang. Good to hear that you have started work on the Hydro Peter. Should be great once it is finished! Take care.

Cheers

Chris.

reddwarf

Postby reddwarf » 16 Apr 2011, 06:57

its been so long since i was at sambawang ,its probably all high rise and no character left.see you all if you come to newcastle.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 16 Apr 2011, 08:16

It sure has been a long time as long since I've been there. So long as the Melbourne Bar is still there that's the main thing.
It was a great bar owned by an ex race car driver who raced with the likes of Jackie Stuart. He had lots of photos on the walls of motor racing in Singapore when the grand prix was run along thompsons road. It was always a great hang out for stokers and chippys

It was out the gates across the road to the coffee stalls and turn left. It was the last bar on the strip.

reddwarf

Postby reddwarf » 18 Apr 2011, 17:35

i believe the melbourne bar was as far as some people made it .when visiting

cbsynboat

Postby cbsynboat » 20 Apr 2011, 22:47

Hi Guys,
Not sure about the Melbourne bar being still down Sembawang, but the Nelson bar is still there, haven't really paid that much attention
down the end of the strip. Will have to have a look though. You are right about some people not making it past there or past the Terror Club
(now USN run)!
There is a lot of high rise buildings in the Sembawang area, but the strip of bars going down near the park has remained
relatively untouched, but don't think they have the same level of business as they had in years gone by. When I first went to Singas in about
86 the train finished at Yishun, now it goes past Sembawang up north and loops around back west and south, back to the CBD etc. And there are
extra lines going everywhere! They have certainly spent a lot of dollars up here. Also Sentosa Island is huge where resorts, Universal studios and
many other things as well.

Cheers

Chris.

Return to “Main Room”