A Tasmanian experience

All things general in here
nool

Re: A Tasmanian experience

Postby nool » 27 Nov 2010, 21:29

I haven't seen photographic proof that you're not wearing a wetsuit :lol:
I'm disappointed that I wasn't at Narrandera last year. I would have loved to have seen that boat in the flesh.
Oh well, one day.

Great photos again Chris,
Cheers!

Neil

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 01 Dec 2010, 09:11

In order of reply, Allan, yes well believe it or not those blocks/chocks are actually oregan and were used as a "fore and aft" (basically a board that goes over some fenders to keep the vessel off the wharf) I salvaged after it was smashed by a boat after a storm in Hobart.

No worries Andy, I am glad you enjoyed it, It was great to review the experience and ponder if I know now what I knew then or knew now what I know then or whatever if I would do the same again, because while it probably reads that it went pretty much to plan, and looks like it did, anyone (maybe you too have the experience) will tell you it normally never does and it is a great exercise in problem solving etc etc etc with a bit more whatever on top of that etc.

And lastly Nool! I would send photographic evidence, but modesty stops me from doing so, plus the reflection off my head spoils the photo. :oops: Re seeing the boat, I am certainly toying with the idea of taking it back to Narrandera next year, but make more of a trip of it, ie cruise the Yarra, go via Yarrawonga and then Narrandera, just an idea at the moment.

Cheers boyz.

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 01 Dec 2010, 10:03

Hi Chris, i smiled to myself when you said about how things "appear" to go to plan. From my perspective nothing could have been further from the truth, i did so many things twice or even three times on a couple of occasions. One thing i have learned from the experience is that there are only so many ways to do something! After purchasing Taurus and having a look at the way she was built i was never that far off the mark when re building Wooden Worry although i didn't know it at the time. It gives you a certain amount of satisfaction seeing a pile a woodrot and rust come back to life, even if it does need sunglasses to look at!! cheers Ray

scotto

Postby scotto » 01 Dec 2010, 20:53

Hey Chris, Thanks for a fantastic story and photos to suit on your labour of love on TOMBOY, i love the King William ( Billy) floor boards and the nice transom timbers the most of all. Great to hear you have an updated tow car too, cool. Hope to catch up with you at the Wooden boat festival in FEB ?.

SCOTTO

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 08 Dec 2010, 13:25

Thanks Ray, really looking forward to the Tauras updates!

Ahoy there Scotto, Tomboy is entered in the wooden boat festival, this time afloat! So if you, or any other members from the club is going to be down would love to take you for a run on the River Derwent and give you the "A1 Tourist Trip".

Barry Jones (the other Tasy member who was at Narrandera this year) will also have his boat displayed afloat.

Are you going to bring any of your toys, eg your Couta boat or similar?

Cheers for now.

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 16 Feb 2011, 18:21

Ahoy all!

The Australian Wooden Boat Festival that occurs every two years in sunny Hobart, Tasmania has been and gone. It started 12 noon Friday 11 Feb and finished Monday 14 Feb around 3 pm. Apart from Friday night the weather was fantastic. This year was the first year that free entry applied and the site was much bigger encompassing the whole of Hobart wharf area. It would of have to been 4 times bigger than two years ago and 4 times as many spectators, it was awesome!

I will post some of my own photos of just the power boats that were displayed on the water and ashore but if you really want to get a feel for the even you can access the local paper photo gallery at themercury.com.au or the gallery on the festival web site which is www.australianwoodenboatfestival.com.au

The organisers actually organised one of their official photographers to come out in a boat to take photos of 4 of us going for a run, so hopefully some of those photos will end up in the gallery?

As usual I will comment on the photos I post, I hope you enjoy, cheers.

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 16 Feb 2011, 18:30

In this spot there was actually supposed to be six of similar boats, keeping a theme happening, but as you can see there was only room for four, and of course we wanted to go for a run and show off etc, getting in and out was a bit of a hassle, but when there are over 350 boats on display in a marina one should not complain too much! (I am currently at work, it looks like I stuffed up saving the photos on my thumb drive, so I am sorry to let you down but hope to satisfy your curiosity in the next few days, cheers)

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 18 Feb 2011, 05:00

As promised, should be right to show you some of my photos of the power boats involved.
Attachments
wooden boat fest 2011 007.jpg
wooden boat fest 2011 007.jpg (97.96 KiB) Viewed 6017 times

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 18 Feb 2011, 05:13

Tekton is Barry Jones's boat (the other Tasy member in the club) some of you may of met him at Narrandera October 2010?
Next to Tekton is Sea Biscuit (Original Chris Craft with a Hercules motor) and next is 'Erica' owned and built by Craig Strike which is 2004 custom maghony boat based on the elegant designs off the 1940's its 6.2 m (20' 6" for Bruce Saults benefit) with a 5.7 litre chev. I asked Craig about the boats name, hoping it was not like the bad tattoo with a past loves name, (Craigs wife is Christie!) but the boat was built in the Town Erica in Victoria where he was living at the time, if you would like to know more about 'Erica' you can check Craigs web site out at http://www.craigstrike.com The next boat of course is Tomboy.
Attachments
wooden boat fest 2011 010.jpg
wooden boat fest 2011 010.jpg (64.6 KiB) Viewed 6010 times
wooden boat fest 2011 009.jpg
wooden boat fest 2011 009.jpg (76.42 KiB) Viewed 6009 times

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 18 Feb 2011, 05:17

Money no object here!
Attachments
wooden boat fest 2011 011.jpg
wooden boat fest 2011 011.jpg (91.36 KiB) Viewed 6010 times