A Tasmanian experience

All things general in here
bauchy

Re: A Tasmanian experience

Postby bauchy » 12 Jun 2011, 13:58

hi peter,
ive spoken to a few people in regards to soda blasting the inside of a wooden hull. two guys said they can do it but be prepared to pay the rates, the job is abit slower but can be done. i know id certainly rather pay for time then scrap and sand the inside of a hull. where abouts are you located?
brian

Doc

Postby Doc » 12 Jun 2011, 17:11

Hi Peter,
When Adrian had "TOREA " if i'm right, i remember something about being raced in salt water in its previous life. As we know salt preserves timber and engine tends to rust. Fresh water rots timber and engine doesn't rust as fast-----.
Doc. [ Next time check out inside" TORQUES CHEAP " salt water boat.] Salt gives timber that bleached look.

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 12 Jun 2011, 18:06

Chris & Doc,
Torea was definitely used in salt water, I remember seeing it being used as a Ski boat at Point Turton, Yorke Peninsula. We lived there & Torea was owned by a family friend. They use to race at Stansbury, also on Yorkes so maybe it raced there.
Dave

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 12 Jun 2011, 18:09

I had the guy from Northern Sodablast come past and have a look and give me some advice. He did a small sample area and he was of the opinion that the ribs and keel would be ok because they were solid timber but that the planking which is plywood would be a problem. It was mainly that it would be left " furry".

This I didn't really mind but he really pressure. I would have thought that a reduced pressure would have reduced the hitting force and thus possibly reducing the furriness left behind.

So if someone knows that can do it or is willing to give me some advice that would be great.
Boat and I are located in Nunawading in Melbourne.

Cheers Peter

Bob Vic

Postby Bob Vic » 12 Jun 2011, 20:05

Hey Peter - Adrian had already 'done' the inside of Torea when I bought it. It looks to me as though he has used a paint stripper and did a great job in the process. I can't imagine the hours and elbow grease involved in such a task. Not sure what Chris has in mind from this point with the inside, but I reckon it needs a light sand and it will be ready for a clear varnish. With Turbo Fire Don did the inside of the hull with a half inch wide belt sander.... then appliwed a satin before a clear coat. For what it's worth I had always thought there is a place for soda blasting the inside of a clinker hull, particularly one with solid planks.

Bob

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 12 Jun 2011, 21:43

when adrian sanded and stripped the inside of torea he must have been in a happy place. that would send me insane. with my skiff i;ll be trying soda blasting first then if thats not working ill remove 5 ribs at a time, sand and seal that section then rerove the ribs back in.

as i have discussed with a few people the best sealer/polish for out door use or on boats is stelianas tough coat. its uv stable and has a high solid content so you do not need as many coats at two pack, hardener can also be added so it goes off in twnety minutes. the worst part is price ( 440 for twenty litres ) but when is anything cheap thats good.

i look forward to seeing how torea progresses. will we see it at nerrandera or is it a long term project???

brian

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 12 Jun 2011, 23:05

Thanks for all the feedback! If I have a problem I now know 'the Doctor' will fix it! Hey Dave, I thought that might of been u in the cockpit of Torea in the Nostalgia pics, the full photos are clearly Yorke Peninsuyla! I have spent a bit of time there 10 years or so ago, mainly in Yorke Town, Edithburg and I did a bit of surfing down at the bottom end! One day I hope to return Torea there and of course catch up with you Crow Eaters at Goolwa, be awesome. Re the interior and what I am going to do, I was going to check with Ray to see if he had any yellow paint left over :P
Yeah pretty luck with the boat, and I agree with the Doc its been in salt water and everything good so far! Have taken the ply backing off the transom and the cavitation plate. What is it with the laminex on top? Will post some photos in the next few days. Also have taken off the gunwhale, had to cut most of the screws. For those who have not had the experience, interesting they have used hinges as support brackets for the deck beams. Also did not believe in using primer, red lead or whatever, its just raw timber throughout, no wonder so many that were not looked after rotted away!
I will definitely be taking Torea to Narrandera, but not this year, I'm not Dave Pagano, I need my sleep! The way its looking the hull should not take too long to restore and make so it will float once more. But I need a motor and some other stuff, so it will be a process that will happen when it happens. Hopefully Narrandera 2012.

Doc

Postby Doc » 13 Jun 2011, 11:48

Hi Chris,
Those hinges Lewis put them their so the deck flexes , they found if they were rigid fixings the top plank would crack. The hinges solved the problem.
Doc.

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 13 Jun 2011, 14:20

Thanks again Doc and good to know. Hinges will replace hinges then, should be easy enough, might get marine grade stainless though. What about the windscreen, Bob has perspex in Turbo Fire, is that the norm re flex and possible cracking of glass?

Doc

Postby Doc » 13 Jun 2011, 14:47

Hi Chris,
Windscreen is a Husky brand, most used perspex plus green & brown tinted perspex. One thing to watch out for is the side glass ,they tend to pop out.
Doc.

Return to “Main Room”