What is considered a classic boat?

All things general in here
skiking10

What is considered a classic boat?

Postby skiking10 » 21 Mar 2009, 09:37

I am building a 16' twin cockpit runabout to 1950's design. Can it be considered a classic?
What is the consensus?
If I had kept a piece of timber (say the dashboard) from the basket case I got some of my parts off could I have called it a restoration?
Is it only the timber and not the mechanical or metal hardware/fittings that count?

Greg
Creator

Re: What is considered a classic boat?

Postby Greg » 21 Mar 2009, 12:13

Welcome to the Board Skiking.

The old chestnut - what is and what isn't! We have had and continue to have discussion on this point as well as timber decked glass hulled boats. With reference to your siuation, have a look at the old board: http://australianwoodenpowerboats.yuku. ... ation.html . I think you'll find similar threads elsewhere on that Board as well.

Tell us more about what you are doing. Are you using the old boat as a pattern. What construction methods are you using?

Greg

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 21 Mar 2009, 19:47

In america There are several "restos" that dont have any of the original boat left. Its fine to rebuild a pattern boat or even build a new one from old plans. The main focus of our club is Classic "WOODEN" powerboats. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Dave

skiking10

Postby skiking10 » 23 Mar 2009, 20:35

Thanks for the welcome. I toyed with the ideaa of a resto for about 2mins. The reasoning behind this was that the boat had not been that well built originally (from both the materials and workmanship standpoint) and was not a very good design. (it was an amateur design.)
So I went for a GlenL design the Ski King. It is very similar in look to the original just fairer in form. I decided to stretch the boat as allowed for in the design and added a curved transom. This takes the boat from 15' to a tad over 16' and importantly over the 5m fulltime lifejacket mark. It is hard chined ply with a layer of cedar planking over that. I am hoping to roll her over soon to start on the fitout and deck.
I originally planned to use the old 186 dog clutch setup from the old boat but came across a 3.8V6 conversion with marine transmission that had sat in shed for years and never used. The price and F-N-R option made it too good to pass up. So that is how it will be powered.
Progress has been slow in the last 6 months due to work commitments, though I am expecting that to change.
I will post some photos soon.
Attachments
skiking.jpg
skiking.jpg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 5273 times

Return to “Main Room”