project update

All things general in here
bauchy

Re: project update

Postby bauchy » 28 Jun 2010, 19:02

haha yeh it should go alrite. ive always wanted to build a boat with the similar idea of putting a chev in a shopping trolley.
the engine will be a holden 360 ( chev crank , 5.7 inche rods ) with vn heads, four bolt main caps, bge dry sump conversion, custom pistons, twin turbos blowing thru a custom made intercooler which then goes thru a vortech carby enclosure with a demon 750hp carby inside etc etc etc . My engine builder runs the same combination in a vl which makes 745hp at the tyres on 15 pounds so we are going to wind the boost back abit with mine and try keep it reliable enough to do some ski racing.
the powerglide im getting built with full manual conversion so i'll have 1st 2nd netural and reverse so it should be good fun and be good for ripping the skiers from the water with first then 2nd once we get moving.

its all good fun building it and i cant wait to use it so hopefully all goes to plan. our first race will be at the victorian ski race titles at lake charm near kerang in january so the dates set to have it running
brian

viteau

Postby viteau » 29 Jun 2010, 12:48

G'day Brian
Thats a real mouth full. You will get blisters on your tongue when you have to repeat that 100 times the first race you go too. I don't know what's inside my chev only that it is a used block and Rolco built it.
Cheers Chris

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 29 Jun 2010, 20:24

yeh it does get abit tiring but i enjoy saying it still... cant wait to hear it even more tho

viteau

Postby viteau » 30 Jun 2010, 12:15

I never forget in 2000 I got roped into be observer for social skiing in an old fibreglass clinker that had 302 V8 and the v drive would make that much noise if wished that I had worn earmuffs. The motor was quiet compared to the racket that was happening between the seats. I think it was an ex race boat but I can't remember it's name. It was in poor condition and the owner was from Moree and it spent most of the summer weekends on turkey nest dams. Yours should just sing and the skiers will be in for a hell of a ride.
Chris

Johno

Postby Johno » 30 Jun 2010, 19:06

Hi Bauchy
Nice boat . I run a powerglide in my woody (suicide) and it works well in a race situation . It gives you the ability to run bigger gears and prop and reverse in a v drive race boat gets people looking. I run 28% step up with about 650 hp with a two blade prop (not shaw of the prop size it was the fastest of the ones i had).
John
27022009.jpg
27022009.jpg (174.52 KiB) Viewed 7136 times

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 30 Jun 2010, 20:55

hey chris , looks like i'll be sking behind my own boat at this stage but im excited.

johnno that engine set up is awesome. what size turbos are you running?? what sort of racing do you do with the boat??
my v drive is set up with 18 percent at the moment but i think i will have to change it up abit. what engine are you running?? how much boost etc etc???? id love to see your boat if possible and use some of your ideas.

brian

Johno

Postby Johno » 12 Jul 2010, 11:34

Hi Bauchy
Sorry i haven't got back to you been a bit side track. Suicide is a 15ft sea-craft 1970?, we have been ski racing with the old girl for about 13 years collecting a few trophies along the way. The engine is a twin turbo quad cam fuel injected 3.0lt V6 Mitsubishi with a shortened 2 speed power-glide.The engine is stock (was twin turbo-ed in car 3000GT) with bigger turbos (only about 15psi) injectors(650cc but going bigger this year) intercooler and i have dry sumped it. Were reving it to 6000rpm but this year were going to drop a bit of torque and rev it up to 7500+.The engine is prepared by a mate of mine Dave at Full Sick Racing he is right in to playing with small, turbo engines.We run in 5.2lt engine class ,with the turbo penalty we just scrap in. Suicide is very competitive in it class

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 12 Jul 2010, 17:51

yeh i know the boat. s80 outright winner i do believe when lenny retallic owned it. u race against a good mate of mine who owns bad influence. will be a good season of racing this year. i'll see you around no doubt. i'll be running mine in 70mph i think

brian

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 12 Jul 2010, 20:55

Not to be a kiljoy Brian. Maybe you should get the boat to handle right before you put that much power into it. These things can have a mind of their own. :D

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 14 Jul 2010, 10:28

yep thought of that already dave. we are running almost no boost when we get it going so it will be pretty docile and easy. if it doesnt handle to well i'll strip it and turn it into my new social boat and build the 18foot v bottom bond wood ive got ready to put together with all my running gear.

im sure it will handle allot better now then it ever has due to the cav plate setup ive got on it. see how it goes but im not stressed about it

Return to “Main Room”