Boat insurance

All things general in here
Alan

Re: Boat insurance

Postby Alan » 02 Nov 2021, 18:00

I think there are two sections of this issue, one is the perceived value which I think will be a mutual agreement between insurer and the client. While the survey is the method the insurer has to use to confirm that the craft has been built/repaired correctly and is "seaworthy" to protect their interests.
The trick will be to find some one who knows speed boats and timber construction and does not have a prohibitive min cost.

Remembering that we are not talking commercial survey but recreational the RACV has a list if you need to pick one, although I find the first paragraph in the Maritime Survey Australia web site on "how do I chose a marine surveyor" strange.
"There are many people advertising themselves as Marine surveyors. There is no legal requirement for qualifications, however there is no substitute for experience, qualifications, training and continuous professional development."

Maybe someone might like to have a little side earner? Looks interesting.
https://www.aimsurveyors.com.au/resourc ... Survey.pdf

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 02 Nov 2021, 20:11

I have been given two contacts for valuation by the insurance company - both names that are familiar to me. I need to get the boat in the water first for a try out before I can have it assessed.
I'll let you know how I go - might be a little while though.

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 03 Nov 2021, 10:46

The fear i have when i see these issues come up is that for a boat like Pagan it will never pass any type of survey, no matter how lenient they are. I'm probably not the only one in that position. And while i can see their point i refuse to modify the boat to meet whatever qualifications they require, if that's the case then i'll just buy a brand new boat and park Pagan in the back of a shed somewhere!! As normal there are more questions than answers

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 08 Nov 2021, 17:40

I was just about to ask about insurance because the cover for Jayme II through through AB Phillips, NM Insurance has increased nearly 25% and I wondered whether anyone was still using them or people have found other insurers? Thanks

Bob Vic

Postby Bob Vic » 08 Nov 2021, 23:00

I'm still using them... I think Turbo Fire is $650 ish a year for $35k cover.

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 22 Nov 2021, 17:33

Well, i got my renewal papers today and as expected there are problems. A sub clause on page three requires the boat to be surveyed when this insurance period ends. I spoke to Sandi at A B Phillips and she gave me some contacts to talk to, at least one is tied up with the Seacraft club....the point is Pagan will never pass any survey so as of next year it will probably not be covered by insurance

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 22 Nov 2021, 18:05

Ray
Refer my comment above.
I'm not sure that it is a survey they want, or an "assessment" (condition, value ??) by someone known to them. One of the names I was given I also recognised as being with the SSBOC,
As I said, though, I won't be contacting anyone until I get Nova in the water and know myself that all is good.

Return to “Main Room”