I suppose,

All things general in here
piquet95971

Re: I suppose,

Postby piquet95971 » 27 Apr 2010, 19:17

I have just been informed that the boat would seem to be planked in plywood.
If I am not mistaken that could mean that
its not early 50's
and that there is every chance that it is not a Lewis.
I am of the understanding that all Lewis boats were solid timber planked.

What other manufacturers planked clinkers in plywood and approx when did it start
just have to wait till we see what we've got.
cheers
peter

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 27 Apr 2010, 21:16

Early Lewis,s were planked in solid timber then later they were planked in solid with a thin skin of ply glued to them. I have a Frank Lewis skiff that is planked in ply.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » 28 Apr 2010, 20:58

That would be similar to the one I recently departed from a plywood clinker Lewis anyway it hasn't travelled far gone next door time will tell what happens. :cry:
Jeff

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 30 Apr 2010, 10:30

I have had a look at some gauges for the new boat and think that I may go with Stewart warner. They were available in the period and are available from Summitracing.com in the good ol USA. I think the Auto meter ones are too wanky although a good gauge.
I am assuming that good quality S/Steel Auto gauges are OK as opposed to going all out for Marine gauges?

Prices and postage are better than anything local and better than getting old gauges and then having them recoed.
A Better looking gauge than the Smiths too.

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 09 May 2010, 21:58

well we have been north to Bundanoon and picked up the boat!!!!!!!
We have not had time to have a really good look at it yet but will make a list once we have had more time
It would appear that the boat is planked in plywood except for the sheer strake (top plank) which is in good old Pacific Maple.
This plank is split so will need to be replaced.

The boat was last registered in 1993 so it is all very dry. The inside has been painted white throughout with signs of both blue and yellow in the engine compartment.

One interesting thing that I have noted is that there is no external steering quadrant on the rudder shaft but the rudder and shaft is turned by a lever running forward through the transom and connected to the steering cables inside the hull.

All the gunwhales need to be replaced as so does the breast hook and Quarter Knes. Currently they are made from straight grained Maple But I am going to try and get grown knees (Teatree)to replace them. They are far stronger.
I have some gauges!!! 2x VDO temp gauge, 1 x cheap and nasty Oil pressure gauges an hour meter and a battery gauge. They are all going in the big Skip as that is all that they are good for.

Looks as though this may never have been fitted with a tacho and no speedo or maybe a speedo and not a tacho. Either way I have a big hole where one of them only would have been fitted. There are holes for 6 gauges across the dash and it has a little glove box on left hand side of the dash
I will organise to get some photos up soon
cheers
Peter
Tthe sneddon family project co ordinator

Return to “Main Room”