I suppose,

All things general in here
piquet95971

I suppose,

Postby piquet95971 » 19 Apr 2010, 19:09

Well, now that the Sneddon family is the owner of a CAWPB we will have to join the CAWPBA!!!!!

After being a lurker and looker for such a long time I have lashed out and purchased a boat
the link to our boat is below.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT

I have spoken at length to the current owner and it would seem that some of the hard work has been done but still a bit to do. Apparently he purchased the boat as a deceased estate and it's in the NSW southern Highlands near Moss Vale.

Dont know a lot about it at present but most of it is there including a going engine. But first thing at home will be put the Y block on the engine stand, drain out any oil and check out the bottom end.
I will be looking for some period instruments and by the sounds of it some of the bright work.

I will be heading North in a couple of weeks to pick it up and tow back to Melbourne

One question for you yankees. Can I get a RTA pass for dragging an unregistered trailer over the internet or Do I just go to the local cop shop in Moss Vale? Any info or leads will be appreciated
cheers
Peter Sneddon

Greg
Creator

Re: I suppose,

Postby Greg » 19 Apr 2010, 20:46

Pete

Great news and congratulations.

Re the RTA pass, I have towed two boats on unregistered trailers from Sydney to Melbourne over the years and did it both times on a Victorian issued permit. I was pulled up by the NSW police in Albury (nearly made it to Vic!) beacuse I was late coming through the lights at an intersection (it was 0500 in the morning and I thought I might have got away with it) and while they were indifferent to the paperwork, they let me continue on (at least I'd tried). I had a good lightboard fastened to the back of the boat, but stood in front of the towball when he spoke to me beacuse there was no safety chain on the trailer.

Greg

bauchy

Postby bauchy » 19 Apr 2010, 22:47

id get a light board from super cheap and write on it " unreg permit " and tow it just like greg did. id buy a cable lock from bunnings and use that as a safety chain. i know i certainly wouldnt want my wayward boat running into someones car.

dont take a chance on wheel bearings either. id put some new ones on it or atleast remove and grease the ones that are in it. ive tried to be lazy ( new years in particular ) and not done the bearings and ended up being stuck on the road side for half a day rather then being on the water.

congrats on buying the boat, from what you can see from the pics it should be a good restorer. get stuck into it and get it to nerrandera this year. good luck with the trip getting the boat home

brian

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 20 Apr 2010, 02:32

paid for it now I'm all excited.
Will hit Supercheap today and I think that as I dont know what wheels tyres and bearings are to suit I will take a grease can, the trusty toolbox and regrease the bearings before we leave to bring it home.
Of course the vicroads permit will be essential as will be the camera!!!!
Look out Bundanoon here we come
Piquet

4541 Andy

Postby 4541 Andy » 20 Apr 2010, 09:16

peter,
congratulations on your purchase, regarding permit, contact nswrta on 132213 or their website www.rta.nsw.gov.au and look at registrations ,the nsw permit covers all states except w.a and tas

regards andy

viteau

Postby viteau » 20 Apr 2010, 17:25

Well done Peter
I bet that I would have the lowest purchase price for a used boat for a carton of Strongbow sweet. I hope that you get it all home in one piece. I had to tow mine 60km and I was lucky that it wasn't any furher as the U bolts that hold the axle to the springs on one side had nearly completely rusted thru. I bought my trailer from Easy tow in Vic and got a 48 hour permit to tow it into SA via a nominated route. I got overtaken by a VIC police car and they probabley didn't even notice as I wasn't stopped.
Keep the photos coming in.
Cheers Chris

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 20 Apr 2010, 17:42

Well done on your purchase, i liked the look of that boat when i first saw the listing on ebay. Should look great finished. Speaking of which, i now have a running engine and the wiring is all but done, that just leaves a deck and some seats and trim and i can start testing on the water. Very much hoping to have her finished and at Nerrandra. Cheers Ray

piquet95971

Postby piquet95971 » 21 Apr 2010, 19:49

Now lets assume that this is an early model Lewis.

I wont really know till i get it home and take plenty of photos and pass them around for a proper ID. the boat is not coming with any gauges so the hunt begins. Smiths or Stewart Warner?

I would like to know what gauges would have been fitted. Brand and type. I am assuming that it would be tacho speedo Oil pressure and maybe amp meter.

Some guidance would be great
cheers
peter

Jeff

Postby Jeff » 21 Apr 2010, 20:20

Hi Peter
Lewis or not you have done well. Enjoy.

Jeff

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 23 Apr 2010, 22:44

Hi Peter,
Congrats on the boat purchase.
On gauges, my Everingham came with SW & Smiths which you can get new but I chose electric VDO and the guy changed the bezels to chrome so they look similar to the Smiths.
Its personal choice & money, there lots of nice gauges around.
Anyway heres a pic.
Dave

Return to “Main Room”