insurance

All things general in here
rayza1

insurance

Postby rayza1 » 28 Nov 2018, 22:13

Just received an email from AB Phillips insurance (taken over the buisness from Fergusons) regarding insurance for my vintage race boat Pagan. It appears they now want a survey report before offering cover. Not sure how many of you bother to insure boats of this kind but i can assure you Pagan will not now or ever pass survey and i'm guessing it wont be the only one. If anyone out there in wooden boat land can suggest someone else that would offer cover for boats of this kind that would be great. In the meantime watch your emails, there maybe a nasty little surprise coming your way

Reklaw

Re: insurance

Postby Reklaw » 29 Nov 2018, 08:59

Hi Ray,
I've tried to get cover on my (almost) wooden boat with other companies, but to no avail. Shannon's don't do boats at all, Club Marine won't insure it despite the fact that I was quite willing to have it inspected and valued by one of their authorised boat dealers, YOUI was recommended to me but the cost was astronomical. So now, my boat is uninsured.
Bob

Renojet

Postby Renojet » 29 Nov 2018, 16:52

Hi Ray
I have always had The Jet insured (not for demonstration runs though) only on the road or out on a private run in the water. I had to get a Marine Surveyor to do a report originally and then another one every few years. I can't see any reason why Pagan would be any different to The Jet. The report describes the boat and explains that everything is in good condition, he also took a few photos as part of the report. If you give the boat a clean up I can't see that there is any difference between the two. The Insurance is with GIO which was originally a NSW company but I am sure it is now Australia wide.
Frank

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 29 Nov 2018, 22:20

I'm hoping for a resolution tomorrow, Darren has given me the right contact at the insurance company. I will update as thing progress

screwit

Postby screwit » 30 Nov 2018, 00:05

Im not insured as yet
So lm watching for your outcome Ray.

rayza1

Postby rayza1 » 30 Nov 2018, 21:02

Hi Guys, happy to report the issue has been put to bed. Spoke with Alan Marsden (ex fergusons) today and it was all a mistake, the renewal went to the wrong office and someone not familiar with what we're about got hold of it and acted as an insurance person would.....tried to make life difficult! Alan has taken control of our affairs and all is back to normal, in fact I may even pay less than before, we will see. Cheers and sorry for any heart attacks

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 03 Dec 2018, 14:30

Thanks for that Ray.

Darren

insurance

Postby Darren » 13 Dec 2018, 21:42

Yes Guys,
Contact Alan or Sarah at the Frankston office of AB Phillips for our Insurance.
Alan probably knows most of our boats (and us) He reads the Hollow log.
Cheers Darren.

Darren

Postby Darren » 09 Apr 2020, 13:05

Guys,
Well the insurance issue has raised its head again. I was up for renewal for Scrubcat.
ABPhillips asked me for some current pictures which I provided.
This morning Sandi from ABPhillips phoned quite perplexed, evidently Nautilus (who were covering our boats) are not insuring boats with open engines, which was a real surprise after 8 years of cover.
She did manage to find another company to cover the boat, but it was around $1350.00 per year.
Which is a jump of basically double.
Obviously I'm seeking other alternatives now, as all my boats have open engines.
Wondering if anyone else has had the same experience, or recently renewed with company with an open motor
Cheers
Darren

WoodRay

Postby WoodRay » 09 Apr 2020, 14:07

Maybe build and fit a removable engine cover??

Return to “Main Room”