hydroplane query

All things general in here
piquet95971

Re: hydroplane query

Postby piquet95971 » 31 Mar 2010, 17:23

many thanks for posting the pics for me Greg

My fairly simple question seems to have gotten a few old friends together and some history of old boats out into the light of day.
So does miss cindy still exist? from all the info flying around i was not able to work that out
cheers
and again many thanks
peter

jm1941

Postby jm1941 » 05 Feb 2011, 16:30

piquet95971 wrote:many thanks for posting the pics for me Greg

My fairly simple question seems to have gotten a few old friends together and some history of old boats out into the light of day.
So does miss cindy still exist? from all the info flying around i was not able to work that out
cheers
and again many thanks
peter

Well yes "Miss Cindy" still does exist and has now been fully restored. :o
Was total shock to me to see her pull up outside my home in late December 2010 like new as I lost track and sight of her back in 1986 after seeing her on the Valley Lake here in Mt Gambier. Anyway, if your still interested about her as your query was made back in March 2010. Read the story how she was found and the rebuild. HERE
The new owner Dennis certainly did a nice job of restoring her and the story of how he came by her by PURE accident. Is interesting the life of the old boats, one never knows where they will turn up one day. I'm still stunned. Dennis is not going to race her but put her in his museum at Robe, but he hopes to have her at Goolwa S.A. as I think they have a Wooden boat day outing on 26-27 February 2011.

Regards,

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 05 Feb 2011, 20:00

Hi John,
A few us will be at the Goolwa Wooden boat festival. See the get together post.

You wouldn't happen to have any photos of Jayme II, I understand Peter Spicer did race it in Mt Gambier but I don't know how often.
Thanks Dave

Dave88

Postby Dave88 » 06 Feb 2011, 13:38

Hi John,

Hope you're keeping well. It's been a while between emails

GREAT news to hear Miss Cindy is still alive! Looks like the owner has done a great job on the resto too

Dave

jm1941

Postby jm1941 » 06 Feb 2011, 19:17

DaveD wrote:Hi John,
A few us will be at the Goolwa Wooden boat festival. See the get together post.

You wouldn't happen to have any photos of Jayme II, I understand Peter Spicer did race it in Mt Gambier but I don't know how often.

Thanks Dave

Thanks for pointing me to that Goolwa thread. Sadly, because of ill-health I/we cannot be there, be nice show to see though.

Well in those early 70's days of my racing anyway, being a railwayman I was not flashed with a good camera, a little el'cheapo instamatic I think, and to go racing there was never much time to take many piccies of race boats. Wow, IF we only had those digitals back then we could all have gone mad doing shots of every boat. Picture taking back then was horribly expensive anyway near worse than the cost of racing the boats as when one took up speedboat racing a good camera definitely NOT on the finance spreadsheet. :lol:

Yes, Peter Spicer did use to come to our yearly Major Days. I do vaguely remember a boat called Jayme II.
Did Peter race that boat? As I only remember Peter racing King Rat in about 1975, Quicksilver about 1976 and later sadly Ol Twitchy.

DaveD wrote:Hi John,

Hope you're keeping well. It's been a while between emails
GREAT news to hear Miss Cindy is still alive! Looks like the owner has done a great job on the resto too

Dave

Yes been okay, got my heart checkup later this month so hope things ticking away okay. Actually funny thing I had been thinking of you of late and about how you been progressing with your boat restoration. Then out of the blue late December a knock on door, "Are you John who use to own and drive "Miss Cindy". Yes, sure did. Then feast your eyes on what's on that boat trailer out front. :shock: I was totally blown away, still can hardy believe it has happened, there she was back looking like new. Still did like her with the full tail fin which got cut down short when the tail stap was not done up properly and the tail came off during a race and the top of the fin got bit damaged, according to the new owner at the time was easy fixed, just cut the top off. :roll:
I'm 70 this May so yes it was a nice present for me to see her all done up and according to Dennis, "Miss Cindy" will be kept in his museum (not raced) and used only on the likes of special Wooden Boat days. That is a perfect idea. Looks to be a lot of that going on now with old boats only used to show and just run in the water as demo what was once from those good ol race days.

Regards,

Return to “Main Room”