hydroplane query

All things general in here
jm1941

Re: hydroplane query

Postby jm1941 » 25 Mar 2010, 20:43

Paul SA wrote:Aqua-Holic was original a Rebound hull Owned by Edger and then it went buy the name of Skippy and then to Aqua-Holic and then to the Gods
Paul

:shock: Well I never knew Aqua-Holic was the old Skippy that Nev Stark use to drive in my days I started racing in 1972. The old Skippy was not as lively as the old Rebound was. Rebound was one MEAN machine like a wild stallion. When Nev bought the new F/G boat he called it Skippy as well, but it just never occurred to me what ever happened to the old Skippy. There you go.

Looking at the pic above I took of Aqua-Holic in 1983 an excellent restoration job was done as it looked near newly built boat, but it was no real speed demon. Engine was probably basic V8 as all our racing was mostly handicap racing.

Regards,

Paul SA

Postby Paul SA » 25 Mar 2010, 20:56

You have to remember that there were 3 Rebound boats Aqua-Holic was number 2 i thing that the one that you would have seen is number 3 and that boat is now in melbourne and owner by Bob Carter. Bob bought it about 5 years ago in Murry bridge SA in reasonable condition and then did a freshen up. Bob runs the boat at the nats and has been doing alot of work with prop changing to see if he can get it to calm down a bit and the last outing the boat went the best i have ever see it.
Paul

jm1941

Postby jm1941 » 25 Mar 2010, 21:55

Well there you go I been educated 35 years later as I never knew or realised there were 3 Rebounds. I was a Hydroplane follower through and through, till I changed to 25hp, the hollow logs just didn't do it for me personally. But Rebound 3 was always one MEAN machine and heart rendering to watch. Rebound was bought later and the fellow who got it had a fancy white seat installed but it never seem to perform like when Edgar had it.

Here is rebound with the white seat fitted taken at Lake Leake at Glencoe near the Mount around mid 70's.
Rebound_Lake Leake_mid-70's.jpg
Rebound_Lake Leake_mid-70's.jpg (90.41 KiB) Viewed 6051 times

This picture of Skippy below was taken at Nelson over the border in Vic on March 1973 as the MGAC held a meeting at Nelson once a year in those days.
I think the last race held there was about 1974/5.
Skippy_nelson_march-1973.jpg
Skippy_nelson_march-1973.jpg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 6049 times

Bob Carter that's a name I've heard of from the 70's early days. Did he use to do write-ups on big race meetings in those early 70's years. I use to get a mag in those days and would look forward to the excellent write-ups and pictures.

Regards,

viteau

Postby viteau » 26 Mar 2010, 09:42

John
I forgot to mention that Viteau was never built to race. It had a 186 fitted and would have only ever been a social boat.
The previous owners would most likely have seen the other boats around.
Cheers Chris

jm1941

Postby jm1941 » 26 Mar 2010, 16:46

Chris,

Ah ha, now this maybe why I did not recollect Viteau ever racing here.
But the name does sort of ring a bell, maybe I'd seen it on the lakes driving around, or maybe pulling a skier.

Regards,

Paul SA

Postby Paul SA » 26 Mar 2010, 18:47

John
That boat was the last one and it is the one that Bob Has now. Do you know what motor the boat ran when it was skippy.
Paul

Bob Vic

Postby Bob Vic » 27 Mar 2010, 15:53

Hi John, just finished looking over the boating section of your web site and it's fabulous. It's great to have all that history documented then shared with the rest of us.

I'm the bloke who has Rebound and restored her back to her former glory. The boat is going well, although we don't run it more than a handful of times each year. I have spent time with Edgar McDonald's family who kindly provided a lot of information and photos about the boat and Edgar. I'd certainly appreciate any photos or information that you might have in your files. My email is bobcarter@connexionpr.com.au ... and yes in my other life I did write about boat racing for PowerBoat magazine through the lat 70's and the'80s. I very much enjoyed this work, going to Lake Leake and the ASBC many times and establishing good & lasting friendships from those days.

Bob

jm1941

Postby jm1941 » 27 Mar 2010, 20:17

Paul SA wrote:John
That boat was the last one and it is the one that Bob Has now.
Do you know what motor the boat ran when it was Skippy.
Paul

I'll have to get back to you on that one. I tried several times last night and today to ring Neville as he use to own old Skippy in the early 70's, but all I kept getting is a fax machine screaming at me. I was not too conversant with V8 sizes, they were out of my affordable league.

Bob Vic wrote:Hi John, just finished looking over the boating section of your web site and it's fabulous. It's great to have all that history documented then shared with the rest of us.

Was a bit reluctant to do that back in the late 90's, but I do enjoy reading itty bits about others exploits that is when you can find them. Granted my boating career was not the 100mph plus stuff, was just within what I could afford at the time, but it was fantastic racing times.

Bob Vic wrote:I'm the bloke who has Rebound and restored her back to her former glory. The boat is going well, although we don't run it more than a handful of times each year. I have spent time with Edgar McDonald's family who kindly provided a lot of information and photos about the boat and Edgar. I'd certainly appreciate any photos or information that you might have in your files. My email is bobcarter@connexionpr.com.au ... and yes in my other life I did write about boat racing for PowerBoat magazine through the lat 70's and the 80's. I very much enjoyed this work, going to Lake Leake and the ASBC many times and establishing good & lasting friendships from those days.

Bob

I thought it may have been you as in those earlier years I could hardly wait to get the Powerboat magazine each month in those great racing days and see your write-ups, they well done well at least I enjoyed them. You were near boating household word back then. I did manage to get a write-up in Powerboat magazine on racing a 25hp Wingboat on the Valley lake. Near fell over when they wrote back and said they'd publish it as is. Actually the only photo I have of Rebound is that one I put up in this thread. I could not afford decent camera then, but was far too busy racing to take many pictures. You just reminded me of my 4 scrapbooks as I use to cut out anything of the hydros and big Merlins and Ken Walby's jet boat. I haven't looked at those scrap books for some 28 years :shock: . I'll keep you in mind if I come across anything on Rebound.

Regards,

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 29 Mar 2010, 10:33

Sorry about the lateness in posting these. Peter had asked a week or so ago, but unfortunately I was away.

Here they are, better late than never.

Greg

peter 01.jpg
peter 01.jpg (178.14 KiB) Viewed 5780 times

peter 02.jpg
peter 02.jpg (234.54 KiB) Viewed 5780 times

peter 03.jpg
peter 03.jpg (207.51 KiB) Viewed 5772 times

jm1941

Postby jm1941 » 29 Mar 2010, 18:44

Paul SA wrote:John
That boat was the last one and it is the one that Bob Has now.
Do you know what motor the boat ran when it was skippy.
Paul

Paul.

Finally got hold of Neville Stark today who had and raced "Skippy" (2nd Rebound) in the early 1970's.
Neville said originally when he got Skippy he put in a Ford Side Valve engine, race it for one season that was definately not a good idea.
Was replaced with a 282 Chev which he raced with it till he bought the new fibreglass Skippy. Nev took the 282 chev motor out of the old Skippy and ran it in the new Skippy, later was replaced with a 427 Big Block Chev, but later went back to a 350 chev.

Hope this what you wished to know,

BTW.. Just remembered the fellow who bought "Rebound 3" and raced it here in the Mount was Bruce Marks, I think he operated a transport business.

Regards,
John.

Greg wrote:Sorry about the lateness in posting these. Peter had asked a week or so ago, but unfortunately I was away.

Here they are, better late than never.
Greg
Jason,

I presume here that this picture above was the one you were referring to in first posting of this thread.
Never occurred to me that the only picture of Miss Cindy with bare motor sitting high was my picture when I was starting to refurbish her.
Can see what you mean as the engine does look to sit high.
The new Nissan 240k engine sat a tad lower because the engine was in at an angle.

Regards,

Return to “Main Room”