Newsletter

All things general in here
Ricshaw

Re: Newsletter

Postby Ricshaw » 18 Apr 2016, 14:13

Not so much on your Pat Malone Rayza..we are out there..
With all the large font and header page, ive been a bit scared..
Cant seem to get attached photos either..
Have to resort to the Classic boat site to get a fix..
Ric...

WoodRay

Postby WoodRay » 19 Apr 2016, 18:17

Greg wrote:The latest Hollow Log was emailed out yesterday.

If you didn't receive your copy, let me know.

Well done Dave. Another great read.

Greg

Greg I didn't get one. I last paid my membership on 8/15.
Am I overdue this year?

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 01 May 2016, 22:38

Hi All,
Yes, the Hollow Log is on its way, apologies for the delay.
Think it might be time for a new editor so if anyone is keen, please let me know.
I'll still be happy to contribute with articles when I can, as others have whilst I've been editor.
Thanks

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 08 May 2016, 04:04

Hi all

I haven't received my copy of the latest newsletter.

Bob

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 08 May 2016, 06:43

Bob (et al)

The newsletter will be sent out tonight.

Greg

Chivs

Postby Chivs » 08 May 2016, 08:36

Re the newsletter, I assume Dave and Greg are looking for a new editor?

If this is a problem then I have an idea that may be worth considering, or trialling.

Assuming we are now just e mailing the news letter to financial members, we could add a new section to the club site members area, titled Club Newsletter. Stories could be added here and for those that are technically challenged could send their story to someone to load it on the site. Obviously the newsletter area can still be used for sponsorship/advertising if required.

It's is still my opinion the club area is under used.

Lastly if we are struggling for content, I am still keen to meet and find out about members in the club and what they have and their interests etc. Perhaps we could have "meet a member" page with photos and a story about their wooden boat connection, similar to the member profile page in the club section that started but died off.

Look forward to some feedback, could be as simple as, disregard Chivs Darren has nothing better to do so he wants to be the editor!!!!!!

Chivs

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 09 May 2016, 11:13

Hi all

A great read. Printed it out when I finished work last night and read it over breakfast and coffee this morning.

I was very taken by the comment about getting the knack of turning Maryanne, the vintage/classic hydro.

Here's how I do it: Allowing for being at full noise down the straight.

Lift off as late as you can allowing for how tight you want to apex the turn buoy, (these don't turn like a log boat and you need to plan on a large arc around the turn) count to 2 (3 if you're really going fast on a long straight), this allows the boat to settle, a big fist full of left rudder as the boat settles, then kick the accelerator pedal HARD.

The above should initiate a BIG power slide which you then have to control with a combination of rudder and accelerator pedal, you will even at times have to use opposite lock to stop the tail coming around on you. Sort of like driving a sprint car at the speed way except its on water.

My experience is that they are easier to drive fast and hard than they are to drive around the circuit slow and steady but the same turning knack applies. Turn into the corner and kick the pedal to get the tail coming around.

Until you get the technique worked out they will just want to keep going straight ahead despite your best efforts with the steering wheel. Lifting off and slowing down actually makes it worse as the boat begins to wallow in the water through lack of speed. From my experience a boat like Maryanne would require 50+ mph to hold itself on the plane. To drive it around a circuit comfortably you would need to be doing 60+ along the straights and not slow for the turns, turn it in and kick the pedal. To give you an idea of the sort of speed that these do their best work at; on Sunday morning at Naranderah last year I ran a peak GPS speed reading of 172 kph and was quite comfortably turning The Spook in the width of the lake, which is not that wide.

Remember that these things are designed to do their best work in a straight line, running on the hub of the prop with the transom in the air, and a pillow of air pressure under the hull floating the boat off the water. Turning around the buoys at the end of the course is not the most natural thing that they do.

Don't be timid with them, they respond well to being forcefully manhandled around the course.

To see some video of The Spook (me) and Midnight Miss (Graham Coddington) head to head at Bundaberg, go to youtube and type in:
Bundy Thunder Hydro Race 2004

Bob

Paul SA

Postby Paul SA » 09 May 2016, 17:28

Great read as usual you have done the hollow log proud Dave well done

DaveD

Postby DaveD » 09 May 2016, 20:31

Hi Paul & Bob, thanks for the comments.
Yes Bob, the power slide is exactly how I've described it to others too, reminds me of the days drifting around corners on dirt roads or out in the paddocks. :D
Think it's just a matter of the amount of time spent behind the wheel, certainly feel more confident with each lap. I'm just happy every time I get an opportunity to drive a Hydro without actually owning one.

Hi Chris, any suggestions are welcome, and so is content as Greg has said many times before me, if it's wooden powerboat related, people will be interested. It doesn't take much once you have a few different people send in some bit & pieces, and I greatly appreciate the articles and photos people have taken the time to send in. To give you an idea, the nearly 200 words you typed in your bulletin board comment plus a couple of photos would most likely make half a page of content, email it to editor@cawpba.com, jobs done, times that by 3 or 4 and there's probably 2 pages. I'm also mindful that if I'm writing a fair portion of the Hollow Log I'm only giving my perspective and my knowledge of what's going in clubland or wooden powerboats, I think it is more interesting to read from as many locations and experiences as possible.

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 09 May 2016, 23:30

Nice job Dave and Greg. I always look forward to the newsletter.

Return to “Main Room”