New Prop

All things general in here
The Spook

New Prop

Postby The Spook » 23 Jan 2016, 03:39

Hi all

I have this week ordered my new prop for The Spook. A replacement for the one that I damaged at Narandarah.

A DeWald prop, Dave DeWald is in Pennsylvania USA.

A two blade cleaver 10 3/4 inches diameter by 17 1/2 inches of pitch.

Now I'll be like a kid counting the sleeps until Santa arrives.

Bob

Reklaw

Re: New Prop

Postby Reklaw » 23 Jan 2016, 08:48

That must have put a big hole in the bank balance Bob.

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 23 Jan 2016, 12:26

Reklaw

The most annoying part is that I had planned to be building a new exhaust system for the boat at this point and instead I'm buying a new prop.

Cost - $800 US plus delivery, so with our current dollar value about $1250 to $1300 plus GST and maybe some import duty when it arrives. About the cost of a new custom made exhaust system.

Graham Coddington used a DeWald on Midnight Miss at one stage and thought it worked pretty well so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Bob

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 27 May 2016, 15:24

Hi all

It has come to pass.

I now have a new prop and prop shaft installed.

The new exhaust system is complete and the last two brackets for the muffler and tailpipe system are going to be done this weekend.

The new exhaust has a longer header set than the old one and is 1 and 7/8" diameter header pipe. The collector is 3 and 1/2" and the mufflers are straight through with "sound attenuation rings". The muffler and tailpipe system goes past the driver seat and dumps out over the side of the boat behind me. Not only should it be a bit quieter but also a bit more pleasant to drive noise wise from the drivers perspective.

Now I need to get it wet.

Bob

bootlegger

Postby bootlegger » 28 May 2016, 08:07

Good luck with itbBob

Reklaw

Postby Reklaw » 28 May 2016, 09:28

And there won't be those exhaust tell tales on the deck. Will it be getting a dunking at Forster Bob?

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 28 May 2016, 11:49

The plan is to wet it at Forster. I am also thinking of giving it a dunk before that if I get some time.

All of the brackets are now complete and the system is fully mounted in place. The battery is flat so I need to charge that as well.

The black stuff on the deck was an octane booster I was using at the time to upgrade unleaded 98 which appears to burn very ugly. I have changed fuels and now use Power Plus 102+ unleaded which is nominally 103-104 octane and handles the 11.5 to 1 compression just fine.

The new exhaust system also will allow me to get some readings from my air/fuel ratio gauge which wasn't working while it was installed in the old exhaust because it was rusted out and allowing fresh air into the collectors before the oxygen sensor (which I wasn't aware of until Naranderah) so that it gave a fully lean reading all the time. At Narandara I was able to get some readings off the EGT gauge which indicated that we are in the ball park with the jetting of the carb. It would appear that a temp reading of about 1300 deg F is considered normal at WOT and 1350 deg F is a little too hot (lean). The EGT at Narandarah was indicating a little over 1300 deg F, with both gauges working I will be able to get a bit better idea of where the carby is at.

Bob

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 16 Jul 2016, 13:18

Ok, the latest update.

I have a new prop which is a Dewald.

A new propshaft from Dave Freeman who lives in Medowie and runs a 5 ltr log raceboat.

A new exhaust from Dave as well.

I am now starting the process of making cowlings. I bought a couple of pieces of 5/8" structural ply during the week and have started cutting that up for the frames of the main cowling which will cover from the dashboard to in front of the fuel tank.

I have decided that I will concentrate on making the cowlings for the foreseeable future and probably not go to any events until next year, maybe Albury in March. In the meantime I will try to get a run in somewhere locally, just for a test session.

Bob

Greg
Creator

Postby Greg » 17 Aug 2016, 17:08

Bob has been busy.

Here's a couple of recent pics of the build of the main cowling for The Spook.

Spook 01.JPG
Spook 01.JPG (469.97 KiB) Viewed 8215 times

Spook 02.JPG
Spook 02.JPG (496.86 KiB) Viewed 8215 times

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 17 Aug 2016, 19:48

Greg

Thanks for putting those pictures up for me.

Next job is to buy a couple of pieces of 5mm bendy ply to form the covering for the cowl. Then its trimmed, fitted and painted red. Yesterday I bought the latches to fix the engine cowl down with. They are actually truck bonnet latches.

Then onto the nose cowl which will cover the heat exchanger and battery box and streamline the front of the cowling set. The nose cowl will be a lot more difficult as it will be a compound curve which has to be shaped out of foam to form a plug and then a mold is made and then the cowl out of fiberglass.

The last one will be the one behind the drivers seat. By then I should have it all worked out and the rear one will be a snack. (hopefully)

Bob

Return to “Main Room”