New Prop

All things general in here
Reklaw

Re: New Prop

Postby Reklaw » 07 Aug 2017, 07:28

Good luck with it Bob, hope all goes well.
BobW

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 07 Aug 2017, 15:02

All done.

Had to play with the timing a bit to get it to start. It was a bit retarded. Also I had probably put a bit too much oil in the cylinders for the start and it took a little bit to get it to fire. Once those two issues were sorted it just cracked into life and oil pressure came straight up and engine just purred away at 2500.

It appears to be a bit thirsty though as that 25 liters of fuel only lasted 20 minutes at those rpm.

Now to get it ready for its next run:- change the oil and oil filter, put the inner valve springs in, check the rocker adjustments while I'm at it, check the coolant levels.

The great news is that there appears to be no sign of oil overflow into the catch cans and the oil pressure was up at 60 pound when the engine was hot, which for a 308 Holden oil pump is pretty good so the edge orifice lifters may already be having an effect in that regard.

Bob

WoodRay

Postby WoodRay » 08 Aug 2017, 20:32

Hi Bob,

interestingly I have had a similar problem with the grey motor in my EK with blowing oil out of the breather cap and side pipe at higher rpms. The run to Winton towing the boat resulted in a rust free trailer and a boat coated in oil. Its taken some time to find the cause after serious mods to the oil feed rate to the rockers and side plate breather mods, all to no avail. In the end crankcase pressure tests revealed an issue at full load and high rpms, all with rebuilt head and bottom end. A lot more testing, stripping, measuring, and swearing it turned out to be excessivley worn valve guides. All have been fitted with k Line inserts, new valves, and a good top chamfer and the problem is gone. I'm even back to the standard side plate breather and all is normal. The head was a one of purchase from an engine reco mob in Sydney. I'm probably more annoyed that I didn't strip it and check everything before fitting it......bugger

Sounds like you're on the money with yours though. Well done.

The Spook

Postby The Spook » 08 Aug 2017, 22:12

As they always say hindsight is always 20/20. I probably should have gone down the track of the edge orifice lifters a long time ago as it would appear that they are the magic fix for my engine.

The modern small blocks all have a vastly different oil system than the early ones and the 308 is really old fashioned in that regard as well. The modern small blocks are designed so that you can fit a restricter into the oil gallery that feeds the rocker gear. I have seen one and I was amazed at how small the hole is in the restricter that flows the oil into the gallery that feeds the rockers. The edge orifice lifters are a fix for an old fashioned problem that 308 blocks and older small blocks used to suffer from due to the old fashioned oiling system designs that were used in them.

Ie they severely restrict the oil flow to the rocker gear

I am still to run the engine to full rpm yet and that will be the real test I guess.

Bob

Return to “Main Room”